Seagull down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Indeed.

I didn't realise that Wikipedia does erotica

Before breeding, seahorses may court for several days. Scientists believe the courtship behavior synchronizes the animals' movements and reproductive states so the male can receive the eggs when the female is ready to deposit them. During this time, they may change color, swim side by side holding tails or grip the same strand of sea grass with their tails, and wheel around in unison in what is known as a "predawn dance". They eventually engage in a "true courtship dance" lasting about 8 hours, during which the male pumps water through the egg pouch on his trunk which expands and opens to display its emptiness. When the female’s eggs reach maturity, she and her mate let go of any anchors and drift upward snout-to-snout, out of the seagrass, often spiraling as they rise. They interact for about 6 minutes, reminiscent of courtship. The female then swims away until the next morning, and the male returns to sucking up food through his snout.[18] The female inserts her ovipositor into the male’s brood pouch and deposits dozens to thousands of eggs. As the female releases her eggs, her body slims while his swells. Both animals then sink back into the seagrass and she swims away.
[..]
Throughout gestation, which in most species requires two to four weeks, his mate visits him daily for “morning greetings”.
I need a cold shower after reading that. :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Has anyone seen the video that seems to be doing the rounds on Facebook of a seagull stealing a bag of crisps from Gregg's?
Not pinching from Gregg's, but a similar incident . How could anyone describe such a clever rascal as a pest?:whistle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqy9hxhUxK0

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
My mates Border Terrier robbed Tesco in Werrington..lump of steak of the butchery dept..love it..
Police looking for a 4 legged grizzle BT

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Hmmm, seagulls have been coastal residents for probably millions of years (in one form or another).

Man has only been there a few hundred years (the type of man who would complain about the noise, that is).

And you have even emigrated from one country to another, fully aware that you would be sharing the same habitat, and are surprised that they make bird sounds!
Where did I ever mention sound in my post?

This is real

IMG_20180709_161053.jpg

The seagull is posting threads?:eek:

@jonathanlivingstone.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
To be fair, we seem to have established that gulls now live on a diet of junk food - primarily chips, Doritos and hot dogs, although I did see one once steal an ice cream covered waffle from a child at Bridlington. And I'll bet those beaks would make short work of a Fray Bentos pie tin.

Does this means that before long we'll start to see morbidly obese gulls waddling around the place, unable to fly due to their calorific intake? Or will the sugar tax have kicked in by then?

Anyway, RIP Steven.

Top Bottom