Sealed drum washing machines.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yeah understand, it's just not a fault I've had, my wife is a hairdresser & she washes a lot of towels, I think she probably overloads it quite regularly so the bearings go first, or the circuit board gets overloaded before we ever wear out a pump :laugh:

On the same score our washing machines tended to et a lot of sandy clothes in the wash from my paving work, wife used to empty sand from my pockets :laugh:

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Most horrible noises on a washing machine are the recirculating pumps.
These can often be cleaned out or replaced easily DIY.

On a more positive note, I am impressed with the drain pump on this Beko washer, completely user friendly and easy to strip and clean.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Never heard of a completely sealed drum before, the ones I have seen have 2 plastic halves bolted together with a rubber seal, I took a washer out for a relative this evening, they are both in their 80's & didn't want a plumber (if they could get one) in the house if the plumber had been in other peoples as well. So I went over & disconnected it, took it outside for when the new one gets delivered the could take away the old one. It was a Zanussi, I said I could take it away & replace the bearing for them, but they said they wanted a new one, I did think about bring it away & repairing it, but whats a 2nd hand washer worth, probably less than the cost ot the bearings & seals.
Different where you are but we often get desperate people on face book appealing for any old washing machine that works as their one has failed and it is not possible to just nip out and get a new one. It can take a long time and a convoluted delivery chain often to get a new one here now. The Hydro Board shop used to have a couple in stock but that is now shut.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our washer had been noisey for a few years - bearings, but, like has been said an 'unknown' for replacing on a budget. The bearing developed alot of play in Feb, just before lockdown, so I just went out and got another. I've repaired the oven before - BEKO, it's been really good, but the heating element went (blew the main fuse), so £15 via amazon, fixed in 30 minutes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My Samsung is 6 years old (5 year warranty from new) and has been completely reliable. Noisy thing, though.

Washing machines are generally engineered to fail just after the warranty runs out.

MarkF

Guru
Looking on the brighter side, you have a nice garden firepit.
Or new feature light, this one has a nice LED mood ropelight.:okay:
taggarb.jpg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My technique with any white goods purchase now is to buy the cheapest one with a 5 year warranty, then just flog it for parts when it goes wrong outside the warranty.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
then just flog it for parts when it goes wrong

I have sold quite a few bits off old washing machines on eBay, when you look at the prices on Espares, its not surprising parts sell well, I now have a few decent Beko spares to offload, its better than taking them to the dump.

gbb

Legendary Member
We are lucky here, we have the Hotpoint factory a mile away and their seconds shop is a brilliant source for heavily discounted white goods, some with perhaps a small scratch or dent. All our machines come from there, gotta say, we never had a Hotpoint we've been disappointed with. Had an odd pump go and one had a rigid pipe that cracked but in essesnse, ours have been ok.
I suspect our current one has a sealed drum, that said, I've never had bearings fail in one in 40 years.

keithmac

Guru
Our last washer had bearing failure and a sealed drum, I genuinely couldn't believe the stupidity of it!.

You can but a drum but costs nigh on the same as a new washer, plus they have to be modified to fit.

Our replacement washer has had 3 sets of motor brushes in it so far but still going strong 8 years so far (Creda I think?).

Levo-Lon

Guru
We are lucky here, we have the Hotpoint factory a mile away and their seconds shop is a brilliant source for heavily discounted white goods, some with perhaps a small scratch or dent. All our machines come from there, gotta say, we never had a Hotpoint we've been disappointed with. Had an odd pump go and one had a rigid pipe that cracked but in essesnse, ours have been ok.
I suspect our current one has a sealed drum, that said, I've never had bearings fail in one in 40 years.

We are lucky having it in Peterborough
We have a large larder fridge £240 from the factory shop
£460 at Curry's
I honestly couldn't find a mark on it, maybe just a return?

Tumble dryer too.
I like LG or Samsung washers as their direct drive and so much quieter.
But you can get most things half price or 2/3rd at the shop

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Do Miele use sealed drums? I know they cost £1000 for something that looks like a Hotpoint from the mid-80s...

Edit: they only make white ones, and nothing in my kitchen is white. Samsung (despite the noise) would still be my choice - you can get one with a 5 year warranty for under £400.

Last edited:
Top Bottom