Sealskinz gloves/clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

has anyone used any of the clothing by Sealskinz iv been looking at some of there stuff and wondered if anyone has any experience and what you think of it is it as good as it says

stuee

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Sealskinz primaloft winter gloves are reasonable quality, but not quite as warm as they look, and rather expensive. I've used mine for thousands of commuting miles, and after about four years they are now very tatty and ready for a new pair. Be careful with sizing, as they can come up quite small, even in the larger sizes, and tightness will restrict circulation, making your hands colder.

I also have a Sealskinz skull cap for underneath my helmet, and that is great. Definitely recommend, as even if you get hot and take it off, it requires almost no space at all in a pocket.

The socks do what it says on the tin, I.e. They are waterproof. However that means that they are hot. If you have cold feet, great. If, like me, you have hot feet, they are too hot and get sweaty inside.

Your choice.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Sealskinz primaloft winter gloves are reasonable quality, but not quite as warm as they look, and rather expensive. I've used mine for thousands of commuting miles, and after about four years they are now very tatty and ready for a new pair. Be careful with sizing, as they can come up quite small, even in the larger sizes, and tightness will restrict circulation, making your hands colder.

I also have a Sealskinz skull cap for underneath my helmet, and that is great. Definitely recommend, as even if you get hot and take it off, it requires almost no space at all in a pocket.
i was looking at the gloves but i need quite warm ones as i have pore circulation in my hands iv got some good gloves but they are quite thick and not completely waterproof i was hoping they would be warm and i know what you mean about price they are quite high lol
The socks do what it says on the tin, I.e. They are waterproof. However that means that they are hot. If you have cold feet, great. If, like me, you have hot feet, they are too hot and get sweaty inside.

Your choice.
i did wonder if they would be a bit hot my feet are always warm i might leave the socks untill the end of the year when its getting colder lol

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The gloves are water resistant at best, they are not waterproof.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

IME Sealskinz products are a waste of money
i have to admit when i read the info on them and saw the price i did wonder just how good they were i dont mind spending the money as long as i get a good product that will last me for a long time.
have you or anyone else subjections for warm waterproof gloves and other bits of clothing ? im not one for Lycra im more looking for touring type clothing

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
i was looking at the gloves but i need quite warm ones as i have pore circulation in my hands iv got some good gloves but they are quite thick and not completely waterproof i was hoping they would be warm and i know what you mean about price they are quite high
If you have the money, I'd consider the Specialized sub-zero, as they are a semi-glove, semi mitten, and having two fingers together will be warmer than separate fingers, but better control than full mittens. Also, they are composed of inner and outer, so you can swap out the liner with a thicker glove.

specialized-sub-zero-glove.jpg

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sub-zero-glove-ec043375

They are hideously expensive currently on offer, so they may well be my next gloves as they look better than my Sealskinz, and warm hands are important when I commute everyday.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

If you have the money, I'd consider the Specialized sub-zero, as they are a semi-glove, semi mitten, and having two fingers together will be warmer than separate fingers, but better control than full mittens. Also, they are composed of inner and outer, so you can swap out the liner with a thicker glove.

specialized-sub-zero-glove.jpg

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sub-zero-glove-ec043375

They are hideously expensive currently on offer, so they may well be my next gloves as they look better than my Sealskinz, and warm hands are important when I commute everyday.

they look good but iv just seen they dont have XXL they say they have been discontinued :sad: but ill have a look on some other sites like ebay and see if i can find them there they do look good and the price isnt to bad better with the discount lol

IME, and after many years of experimenting with various brands and options I have decided that neoprene gloves are the way ahead, and/or neoprene bar mitts such as pogies: http://www.pogies.com/ I bought pogies for this winter but never had to use them as it was so mild, and neoprene fingerless gloves with lightweight overgloves worked fine. For next winter I plan on buying long finger neoprene gloves, e.g these ones currently on offer: http://www.evanscycles.com/products...match__plid_&gclid=CJaKht-ixb0CFQ7MtAodVlcATA

I'd rather have warm hands than dry hands.

Doseone

Guru
Got some gloves, worn them in the mountains in some appalling conditions and they've been great.

Tried the socks and they didn't feel very comfortable.

ASC1951

Guru
...have you or anyone else subjections for warm waterproof gloves and other bits of clothing ?
IME gloves don't need to be waterproof as long as they are still warm. I use Lidl 'Powerfix' workshop gloves, about £6, which have padded palms and velcro cuffs. Inside go a pair of good quality running gloves, about the same price. This works well down to the sort of temperatures I cycle in ie 4-5c; and they are machine washable and very durable.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

IME gloves don't need to be waterproof as long as they are still warm. I use Lidl 'Powerfix' workshop gloves, about £6, which have padded palms and velcro cuffs. Inside go a pair of good quality running gloves, about the same price. This works well down to the sort of temperatures I cycle in ie 4-5c; and they are machine washable and very durable.
i know what you mean but some gloves loose there insulation property's when they are wet, iv got a really good set of thermal gloves but if they get wet its like blocks of ice on my hands.

Top Bottom