Searching for a reasonably priced helmet cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

I hadn't thought about the dangers of a helmet cam. I've always thought that if I were to get into a rare altercation with a hostile motorist or pedestrian, a helmet cam would be more visible and they might retreat. Interesting.

Last year I was riding along a main road - down a steep hill and suddenly my head was janked backwards :eek:

turned out an overhanging branch had managed to jam a twig into my helmet and stop it - and hence my head - moving forward,
luckily, when my head stopped and my body carried on this bent my head backwards at an angle and the twig came out
How I stayed on my bike is unknown

So - basically - I don;t want anything sticking up from my helmet (oh er missus:eek:) that might catch on overhanging branches and canal bridges and drag my head backwards

He did, he also hit a large heavy and immovable rock at speed.
That's probably not a good idea either.

sasquath

Had a Cycliq Fly 12 for the last 2 years . No issues to date .Good run times and picture quality . Handle bar mounted . Not cheap .
That's only 2.5 times the OP budget though...
Also over budget at £160 but front and back facing cameras in one package DC-1

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My Drift Ghost XL mounts on the helmet with 3m sticky pads, and the clip on the camera is light plastic. It has held very well but I expect it would break off in an impact/collision. It also mounts well on the bars. The Ghost X uses the same clip/mount.

Portishead CC are using the Chillitech cameras as club cameras & not reporting any problems with them. For reporting bad driving, the quality is adequate. GoPros do have amazing quality footage but the battery life is quite short.

Hope this helps!

sasquath

My Drift Ghost XL mounts on the helmet with 3m sticky pads, and the clip on the camera is light plastic. It has held very well but I expect it would break off in an impact/collision. It also mounts well on the bars. The Ghost X uses the same clip/mount.

Portishead CC are using the Chillitech cameras as club cameras & not reporting any problems with them. For reporting bad driving, the quality is adequate. GoPros do have amazing quality footage but the battery life is quite short.

View attachment 610092

View attachment 610093

View attachment 610094

Hope this helps!
Agree that self adhesive mounts ate safest but.
Just think of an situation where impacting object is moving perpendicularly to cameras top surface. It would not allow camera to detach and move out of the way, and would push it into your skull.
Now what are the chances of such unfortunate fall/impact is another matter.
On small bumps and knocks probably nil.
Stronger side impact by a car could flip you over and head impact on windshield could be the camera pusher one.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You know that bit of paper with incredibly small print in 15 languages that came with your helmet, and that you promptly threw away?

Somewhere on there it says "do not attach anything to this helmet". In 15 languages.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I've used a pair of Crosstour 1080p wifi for a few years when diving and riding. They are basically GoPro knock offs but for a fraction of the price. Like most such devices, it seems quality is variable. The Crosstours have never given me any problems (apart from the waterproof holders fogging when it's humid), but I may just have been lucky. They record in mp4 and are easy to edit. Amazon seems to have a few similar cameras ranging from £30 up

sasquath

I bit a bullet and bought chilli cam, the new 1080 model, it's either a faulty model or they are crap. it's 1092x1080 but @ 27 Hz and depite not so terrible 12Mbps it looks like potato recording, can't make out nuber plate of a car passing by, when stationary or moving at walking pace it's ok-ish, any faster movement and its all blurr, probably records @ 9Hz and interpolates/upsamples to 27Hz. It's going straight back.
Tested with card used for DSLR - 100Mbps 4k videos no problem.

Top Bottom