Seascale to Barrow in Furness A595 advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Avoid A595 . Take to the hills then ride on to Grange over sands and treat yourself to a train ride over to Arnside over the estuary. Pint and food in the Ye Old Fighting Cocks then onwards to Silverdale and rest of Morecambe bay :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Avoid A595 . Take to the hills then ride on to Grange over sands and treat yourself to a train ride over to Arnside over the estuary.
The Bay Way route from G-O-S to Arnside was pretty good. There was about 800 m/0.5 mile on the A6 but apart from that and a few tolerable stretches of B-road, most of it was on quiet lanes and cycle paths.

ACT

I rode this a couple of years ago but in reverse. My route is below. I turned inland at Duddon Bridge and guess this is the route being suggested to you. The A595 was fine all the way to Duddon Bridge, very little traffic, and I only turned off because I had been warned the A595 was a poor road for cycling. You'll be able to see just north of Ulpha I hit a climb of 13-17% on a loaded tourer - and I travel light!!!! Once up this climb, I walked, there is then a long 9/10 mile descent to Eskdale and beyond to Holmrook. Apart from the vicious climb it's a lovely ride. The problem you face is you will have to climb the ten miles from Holmrook to Woodend. It's long, long climb.

Personally I'd take my chances with the A595, the section I rode didn't have enough traffic to cause me any concern. The Bay Way is fantastic.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17446560

Halfway between Eskdale Green and Holmrook I met a lady in her 60s on a sit up lady's step through with loaded rear panniers. She'd ridden over from Ambleside via Hardknot - I felt shamed on my ten speed triple
The climb after Ulpha bridge is up to Birker fell/moor

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The climb after Ulpha bridge is up to Birker fell/moor
This is the sign at the bottom: -

20150911_174035.jpg

Top Bottom