Season of Mists 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Plax said:
That looks like a nice ride. Funnily enough I've just joined Audax UK. I'd have to stay over there though - is it popular i.e am I likely to be too late to book a B&B?
I think there were about 80 riders last year. I'm sure that you could find accommodation. Here's a few suggestions:

Angeldale B&B. I have mates who stop there when they come up for mountain biking weekends.

The White Lion - a 350 year old pub.

(Both in Hebden Bridge centre, less than 5 minutes from event HQ).

Mankinholes Youth Hostel. About 3 miles from Hebden Bridge.

Noodley

ColinJ said:
Oh! :ohmy:

I had 2 near misses there.

That's okay I had more near misses than that! But I still enjoyed it...:biggrin:

The best one was the bloke in the white van who shouted at me when I moved out to pass some parked cars...I don't think he expected my response! :biggrin::laugh: Not sure if he understood the Scottish accent but I reckon he got the message...no, actually I think he did understand :biggrin: :wacko:

aJohnson

ColinJ said:
Not that you need to worry since you climb like a very climby thing! :smile:

Yes, it makes it a tough little hill rather than a complete legbreaker. The first section is about 25% but then it eases off and actually drops back down a bit but then kicks back up to 18-20%.

Are you sure it goes up to 25%?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

aJohnson said:
Are you sure it goes up to 25%?
I'm not sure because I've never measured it but it has most people straight out of the saddle and grunting. I have a 30/28 bottom gear and I usually have to stand to get up it whereas I can usually get up 18-20% sitting down.

The good thing is that the first really steep section doesn't go on for that long so you do get respite. As I said above, if it went straight into the second section it would be a bit of a legbreaker.

Okay, I've had a good look at the climb on the 1:25,000 OS map and these are the statistics:

The first steep section averages 22% for 140m. It's not a consistent gradient so I'm sure that it maxes out at over 25%.

The second steep section averages 16% for 360m. Again - it's not a consistent gradient and I'm sure that it maxes out at about 20%.

The entire climb from the dip that Noodley mentioned, up over the cattlegrid, tight left, up the steep bit, levelling off, short descent, up the second steep bit, levelling off, short descent, final short steep section averages 9.2% for 1.3 km. (121m of ascent).

It's not Hardknott or Wrynose, but if you climb it into a headwind when you are tired you'd have to be a pretty good climber not to suffer!

aJohnson

ColinJ said:
I'm not sure because I've never measured it but it has most people straight out of the saddle and grunting. I have a 30/28 bottom gear and I usually have to stand to get up it whereas I can usually get up 18-20% sitting down.

The good thing is that the first really steep section doesn't go on for that long so you do get respite. As I said above, if it went straight into the second section it would be a bit of a legbreaker.

Okay, I've had a good look at the climb on the 1:25,000 OS map and these are the statistics:

The first steep section averages 22% for 140m. It's not a consistent gradient so I'm sure that it maxes out at over 25%.

The second steep section averages 16% for 360m. Again - it's not a consistent gradient and I'm sure that it maxes out at about 20%.

The entire climb from the dip that Noodley mentioned, up over the cattlegrid, tight left, up the steep bit, levelling off, short descent, up the second steep bit, levelling off, short descent, final short steep section averages 9.2% for 1.3 km. (121m of ascent).

It's not Hardknott or Wrynose, but if you climb it into a headwind when you are tired you'd have to be a pretty good climber not to suffer!

Ok thanks. Looks like I'll have to train ALOT. I'll keep hitting at the 1/4 near me I guess.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:

30/28 is lower than I have on my bike, presumably, you have a triple on the front ?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

As part of my ongoing help-support-your-local-audax-events™ programme (;)), here's a description of the SoM route:

• Straight up the steepish climb to Heptonstall from a cold start (a.k.a. warm up on the A646 first or risk revisiting your breakfast! xx().
  • Ease off after the cobbles and meander round through Slack.
  • Short climb to Colden, followed by a descent to Jack Bridge.
  • Short steepish hairpinny climb to Blackshaw Head.
  • Long draggy climb up to the Long Causeway.
  • Great fast descent - downhill most of the way to Burnley (~12 km!)
  • Noodley enjoys Burnley; the rest of us tolerate it! :biggrin:
  • 3 km of moderate climbing over the M65 to Fence.
  • Turn left and enjoy a scenic trip along the hilltop with views of Pendle Hill to your right.
  • From Padiham Heights, don't look right. If you do, you'll see the Nick o' Pendle towering over Sabden, You don't wanna go up there - it's steep!
  • From Padiham Heights, turn right and do the fast descent to Sabden! You see the Nick o' Pendle towering over Sabden? Get yerself up there!
  • Very fast descent - enjoy it, but watch out for sheep and traffic!
  • Cross the busy A59 (caution!) and ride through Clitheroe to Waddington.
  • Country Kitchen Cafe control. In case you managed to keep your breakfast down on the climb to Heptonstall earlier, this gives you a second opportunity to hurl! Eat a hearty fry-up at the cafe, come out with a full stomach and launch straight into the fairly demanding climb of Waddington Fell (300m ascent in 4.5 km).
  • Take care on the descent. No, seriously - take care on the descent! There are always sheep wandering about on the road. Don't do what one dickhead did and overtake me going at 50 mph plus and fly down between two sheep on the road. They are very unpredictable and stupid creatures and you never know what they will do next - dickheads that is! The sheep are almost as bad...
  • Also, also also - there is a deceptively tight near 90 degree RH bend on the descent and it always catches people out. Don't be its next victim!
  • Newton. "That's the worst of the climbing done with" announced occasional CC member Warburton to me a couple of years back - ho ho! Not only am I familiar with the area, but I'd carefully scrutinised the route profile before setting off. Relax ye not!
  • As if to prove my point, we were taken straight into a 100m climb on the scenic detour through Laythams on the way round to Slaidburn.
  • An undulating road eventually climbs about 130m to Beacon Hill.
  • Fast 3km descent to Grindleton.
  • Cross the Ribble into Chatburn, enjoying scenic views of the huge cement works to your right. If you are bored, ponder how they ever got planning permission for it.
  • Getting tired of the flat stuff? I thought not. Still, let the climbing begin (again)! Up through Downham to the flanks of Pendle Hill (to your right). Superb scenic views as far as the eye can see, unless there is a heavy mist in which case there are scenic views as far as the eye can't see!
  • There's a very 'entertaining' descent through Rough Lee to Barrowford. What can I say? If you like steep, singletrack lanes, with gravel traps, tight bends, potholes, ramblers with dogs wandering about, oncoming 4x4s and rivers running down them - look no further! Take it easy folks! I descended it last weekend and even knowing that, I had to go straight up a farm track because I wasn't going to make the bend...
  • Quickly work your way round the big roundabouts (or use the subways) and enter Nelson.
  • Okay, I've listed all the good things I know about Nelson. Oh, here's one more - it doesn't take long to pass through and begin yet another climb on the way up to Coldwell Activity Centre! The climb steepens as you go up into the smarter parts of town. Don't miss your right turn halfway up.
  • The last part of the climb is going to hurt. Unless you are a scrawny mountain goat, you will be feeling the relentless bombardment of hills you've endured so far. Never mind - cafe stop soon!
  • Coldwell Activity Centre control. If you are faster than the 12 kph minimum speed requirement, you will get to the centre before 16:00 and will get served. It shuts at 16:30 so you really don't want to be late.
  • From Coldwell there is just one little climb before you see the evil climb out of Thursden unfold below you, as described at great length (and pictured) above. Take care on the steep singletrack descent, have your lowest gears ready, and... go!
  • Take care crossing the cattlegrid, especially if it is wet. It is on the climb so hit it with enough speed to carry you over it. Hit it square on. Watch out for oncoming traffic on the climb and pace yourself. Read my description of it and you'll know what to expect.
  • Enjoy the easy ride back from Widdop Reservoir, with just one draggy climb up from Blake Dean to bother your tired legs.
  • When you get back to Slack, you have the choice of going back through Heptonstall which Noodley has described above. If you are a confident/capable descender, why not enjoy the descent through Lee Wood instead? Bear left at Slack. Take care on the steep approach to the tight off-camber RH bend leading into the woods. It's a very fast run down so keep your wits about you for oncoming traffic, or for cars trying to get past you (most won't even try because you'll easily hit 65 kph).
  • As you rejoin the road down from Heptonstall, look up to your right to make sure that somebody isn't hurtling down the hill towards you.
  • Watch it on the descent past the houses to the traffic lights. Parked vehicles on both sides, oncoming traffic and a rough road surface in places. NB The lights have a short cycle so don't try and race down to them if they are green for you. They usually change before you get to them. Also - it is incredible how many people sail through those lights on red on the A646. Don't rely on people doing what they should do - watch out. Don't bother trying to do a u-turn at the lights unless they are on red and you dismount to walk round them. The turning circle is only 150m or so down the road so you might as well be safe and use it.
  • Lock your bike up securely at Salem Mill and see if your legs actually still function well enough to get you to the top floor to hand your card in!
  • Attack the feast laid on for you as you enjoy a chat with any survivors other finishers.

See you there! :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

pubrunner said:
30/28 is lower than I have on my bike, presumably, you have a triple on the front ?
Yep - on the bike I use for this kind of ride (my Basso), I have 52/39/30 chainrings and a 9-speed 14-28 cassette. I don't miss the top couple of gears and I do use the bigger sprockets so it was a good compromise. One day when I'm fit enough again, I'll probably put my 13-26 cassette back on. I can't see the point in using a 12-23 any more because I don't race and there are loads of steep hills round here where lower gears are nice to have in reserve.

aJohnson

Hopefully I'll have the legs for it by then, will have alot of training to do to tackle all the climbs.

Plax

Guru
Maybe next year, I'm doing the Mills Hills Audax the week before as it's fairly local, and think I've left it a bit late to sort out with B&Bs and stuff. I look forward to reading the ride reports!

diyduffer

Any one doing the shortie 50K Mellow F??

I'll be in the dog house if I am out all day so lack of fitness & confidence makes me err on the safe side.
I have done 20 miles comfortably on my new bike and am not ready for the full 100km. who is doing the 50 Km event 'Mellow fruitfulkness'.
Any one doing the shortie???
Heppy hill & Thursden look like big challenges.

May that age and waist size never met.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

diyduffer said:
I'll be in the dog house if I am out all day so lack of fitness & confidence makes me err on the safe side.
I have done 20 miles comfortably on my new bike and am not ready for the full 100km. who is doing the 50 Km event 'Mellow fruitfulkness'.
Any one doing the shortie???
Heppy hill & Thursden look like big challenges.

May that age and waist size never met.
The first climb to Heptonstall is steep enough to be challenging, but what I find really tough is doing it from a cold start so I usually ride up and down the A646 for about 15-20 minutes before the start to warm-up.

Speaking of warming up - it is usual pretty damn nippy in the valley at that time in the morning in early October so wear some extra layers (unless you don't suffer from the cold). Mind you - you'll be starting an hour after the rest of us, so things might have warmed up a bit by then.

The climb at Thursden is hard, especially if there is traffic forcing you to do it without any weaving about to ease the gradient. The reward is a really nice run back from the top past Widdop, with only a few easy draggy climbs to get up.

diyduffer

thank for the warning Colin J

Thanks for the warning!!! better bring a packet of cheits- to keep me going and a drilled out mars bar to save weight!!

When I was fit I(in my youth) cycle from Bradford over thornton, Mixenden, through Wainstalls to Luddenden, Hebden bridge up to Heptonstall, Climbed down the quarry steps with my bike ( and all the climbing gear) then was supprisedw hen I was pumped after only three quanter of the way up a hard rooute ( read 50 ot up.) I bricked my self as i was on the sharp end of the rope. i was totally o supprised I was pumped & knackered .JUst made it to the top, almost bricked myself . I thought my leggs would be a bit tired but may arems would be ok , I reason (foolishly) If don't use my arms climb up Heppy butress then they yould still be strong. -How wrong. The follies of youth. When you're drained -you're are drained.
I digress, but a good tale any way-I expect a challenge then!!
Just heard My mate, is thinking of entering on his sit up and bg roadster with Hub brakes & hub gears. Just to show me up????
If he beats me he a is genuine barsteward!!
-----------------------------------------

My thy waist size never overtake thy age.

Top Bottom