Season of Mists 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I'm tempted to do the Mellow Fruitfulness ride.

Its a 70mile ride there and back for me so this 50km ride will actually be 170miles for me!

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Mmm I might be tempted by this...

I just did the 112Km Pilgrim's Way Audax yesterday, not half as much ascent as the SoM route but a wee bit longer and I managed it ok, Alun keep's pestering me to do it (I work at the sameplace).

I will give it some thought.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
aJohnson said:
Colin can ye enter on the day?
Best thing would be to call the organiser Chris Crossland on 01422 832 853 beforehand so he has an idea of how many people to cater for. If too many people just turned up unannounced, then the food at the finish might run out which would be annoying for those who had signed up in advance. I'm thinking especially of me here, since I'm usually one of the slowest riders and therefore last back! ;)

aJohnson

ColinJ said:
Best thing would be to call the organiser Chris Crossland on 01422 832 853 beforehand so he has an idea of how many people to cater for. If too many people just turned up unannounced, then the food at the finish might run out which would be annoying for those who had signed up in advance. I'm thinking especially of me here, since I'm usually one of the slowest riders and therefore last back! :ohmy:

Ah ok, as I don't know if I'll be able to get there (transport wise). My parents are busy and my brother wont be able to take me. I was thinking of public transport 8|

aJohnson

amrushton said:
Ride there! It's only Hebden Bridge. Or get the train back from Hebden>Rochdale

Another 20miles ontop of the hills at Hebden would kill me 8|

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

aJohnson said:
Ah ok, as I don't know if I'll be able to get there (transport wise). My parents are busy and my brother wont be able to take me. I was thinking of public transport 8|

amrushton said:
Ride there! It's only Hebden Bridge. Or get the train back from Hebden>Rochdale

aJohnson said:
Another 20miles ontop of the hills at Hebden would kill me 8|
Unfortunately, we live in the transport dark ages here! The earliest train from Manchester into Hebden Bridge on Sundays gets in at 09:52 which is way too late for SoM so you would have to ride here. As amrushton suggested, you could always go back by train.

What you could do is ride over and do the shorter sister event Mellow Fruitfulness which starts at 10:00. To be honest aJ - SoM is a very hard introduction to the local hills so you might be better going for this option.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've just checked the forecast (on three different websites). It looks like Saturday is going to be pretty grim but the worst of it should have (literally) blown over by Sunday morning. It looks like we should have sunny intervals with light showers, and it should be cool and breezy.

So, who is going to be turning up for SoM on Sunday?

Me too

Actually looked at the route a couple of days ago - over Nick o'Pendle, Waddington Fell, etc.
Hmmm - hadn't realised it was going to be quite such fun (:biggrin::biggrin: or :mrpig::biggrin: as you prefer !)
But certainly it might not be fun if it's wet and windy, as Saturday's forecast is...

One thing puzzles me - at the start, go round the turning circle thing and then up to Heptonstall : lots of contour lines...
- what stops you going straight on instead of forking left up through Heptonstall village centre, as the road meets again at Slack bottom and looks like it would add all of 1/4-1/2 mile to the distance with rather less of a nasty climb first thing on cold legs ?

Top Bottom