Season of Mists 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
andy_wrx said:
One thing puzzles me - at the start, go round the turning circle thing and then up to Heptonstall : lots of contour lines...
- what stops you going straight on instead of forking left up through Heptonstall village centre, as the road meets again at Slack bottom and looks like it would add all of 1/4-1/2 mile to the distance with rather less of a nasty climb first thing on cold legs ?
One year they had somebody standing at the junction 'encouraging' people to go straight up to Heptonstall, but there's nothing to stop you going the other way if you want to. I think that the official route returns via Heptonstall, but I always descend through the woods

On the way out there is a control at Colden to stop you taking the shortcut via Mytholm Steeps even though anybody doing that is clearly barking mad!

ColinJ said:
On the way out there is a control at Colden to stop you taking the shortcut via Mytholm Steeps even though anybody doing that is clearly barking mad!

Plus the info control just before Slaidburn to stop you short-cutting on the B-road...

I guess it's 'cheating' if you don't take the right route (as well as messing-up the distances and making the routecard impossible to follow), but what's AudaxUK's official view of things
- d'you have to take exactly the right route ?
- or just appear at the controls in the right order (and if there are short-cuts possible, it's up to the organiser to add controls you can only get to by following the right route) ?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

andy_wrx said:
I guess it's 'cheating' if you don't take the right route (as well as messing-up the distances and making the routecard impossible to follow), but what's AudaxUK's official view of things
- d'you have to take exactly the right route ?
- or just appear at the controls in the right order (and if there are short-cuts possible, it's up to the organiser to add controls you can only get to by following the right route) ?
I think that the official line is that courses have to be designed so that the shortest route is that between controls. If you want to meander off and do extra that is up to you.

If altitude points are at stake, then going the long way to miss out a tough hill would have to be prevented by an extra control at the top of the hill.

I'm not sure how the altitude points calculation would vary between the two ways up to Slack Bottom. The old system used a complicated formula to calculate the points which factored in steepness, but I think that there is now an option based purely on altitude gain.

Routes should be designed to require a small number of controls. I remember reading that if a proposed route needs lots of controls then it should be changed.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sysagent said:
Colin is Alun back for this on Sunday and if he is... Is he doing it?
Good question! I was assuming that he would be but I haven't heard from him. I just checked and he hasn't been on CycleChat since September 25th.

I'll PM him so if he does log in, he'll know that we're after him!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sysagent said:
Hi Colin,

Just texted him and he is back too late to do it from his hols...
Oh well, if you or anybody else wants to join me in tourist class watch out for me (tallish bloke)...

northwave-bib-shorts.jpg

on the blue steel-framed Basso...

fettled-basso.jpg

Garz

Squat Member
Who would want to ride with such an elitist rider, that is if you can keep up with him?

:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
After yesterdays weather we were certainly lucky today. A couple of showers but the wind had died down and the sun shone for quite a bit of the day.

A nice ride over on quiet roads, quick brew and a couple of hellos and then back out to keep the legs warm as Colin very wisely suggested!

Met said gentleman just before the start and admired his new Crud Mudguards - how did they perform Colin? Sorry didn't get much chance to chat but will keep an eye out for one of your scenic social rides in the coming months.

First hill went up, and it's all a bit of a blur after that :sad: The route was brilliant I thought, especially on a good day like this. Plenty of new hills for me, had a good chat with a couple of folk I know on the way round and plenty of strangers. AndyWRX caught me up before Waddington and we did a few miles together which was pleasant.

I can remember the last hill though. What a beauty! The valley on the other side was new to me and was simply stunning. Had a nice chat with a chap on his MTB with knobblies on towing his daughter on a tagalong. He was the same speed as me by this point but she must have been pushing him rather than being towed :hugs:

I got good advice not to turn off for the cobbles and had a good run down to the finish and a superb spread of food! A big thankyou to all involved in putting this ride on and the excellent catering.

er that's it I think. Good day out.

Garz

Squat Member
Looks like old colin is still recovering.. that or his mudguards blew off and hes still searching for them!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Garz said:
Looks like old colin is still recovering.. that or his mudguards blew off and hes still searching for them!
Cheeky!

I said hello to longers and a few other people I know at the start but was all set to do the ride alone since they are all fitter and faster than me and I rarely find other people who are happy to go at my (slowish) pace. However, I'd just turned up the first climb to Heptonstall when a rider named Jim came up alongside me and said that he remembered me from last year's event. I'd saved his ride at the top of the Nick o' Pendle when I saw him walk to the top with his broken chain wrapped round a twig. I whipped out my chain tool and fixed it for him, and we did the rest of that ride together. Jim had been impressed with my GPS-assisted navigation and asked if I'd like some company for today's ride; naturally I said yes!

We weren't out to break any speed records and took fairly long stops at Waddington and Coldwell. I also stopped several times to take photographs. We still managed to get round in just over 7 hours which I was fairly pleased with given my current lack of fitness and the severity of the route. Even better - I managed to not get the usual cramp in my left foot, only developed a very minor saddle sore and a slight backache. I'm not even that tired this evening so I must be slowly getting fitter. If I keep riding through the autumn and winter, who knows, I might even be able to keep up with longers, trio25, PaulB, Svendo, goodspeed et al on next year's Spring into the Dales? :biggrin:

I thought I'd misjudged the weather when a heavy shower blew over us early on, but that was it for the rain. Much of the rest of the ride was done under blue skies.

At the finish, Jim and I had just gone upstairs at event HQ when the heavens opened up. By the time we came back out after attacking the remaining food and drink supplies, the rain had stopped again - jammy, eh! :cry:

The Crud Roadracer guards worked very well. They are really light (only 180 g) so I couldn't tell they were there when riding. The roads were still wet for the first couple of hours but the guards kept the spray off me. I did hear some rubbing sounds which I assumed were the little pile brushes used to keep the plastic guards away from the rims. Turns out that I'd not adjusted the Roadracers properly. They were too close to the tyres so any debris stuck to the tyres was rubbing against the undersides of the guards. I think they'll be okay for the next wet ride now I've readjusted them. If you are thinking of buying some - make sure that you have at least (say) 5 mm clearance front and back - the guards are slimline, but not infinitely so!

trio25

Über Member
I have a set of those guards on order as I only have ruby working at the moment! Heard good things about it!

Sounds like a fab ride folks!

Top Bottom