Season of Mists (& Mellow Fruitfulness), Oct 9th, 2016. (Mytholmroyd)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That was fun!

Brian (@Littgull) and I met in Todmorden and rode over to Mytholmroyd together. My pal Bill was at event HQ but he went on ahead and we didn't see him again all day. I bumped into a former colleague and said hello to him but he didn't ride with us. Paul (@PMarkey) introduced himself and did the ride with me and Brian.

There was a good turnout, no doubt inspire by the forecast of good weather. I would be surprised if less than 100 riders took part.

It was a chilly start down in the valley but a few kms down the road, the stiff climb from Hebden Bridge to Heptonstall warmed us up.

The sun was out and it was pleasantly warm for the time of year in the sunshine, but there was a fairly strong breeze blowing which made conditions feel quite nippy in the shade and on the descents.

We had a shortish stop at the control at Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington. The climb of Waddington Fell seemed easier than in recent years so perhaps I am starting to get some of my old fitness back after all? Early days yet though - I was overtaken by lots of riders and Brian was pulling away from me on most climbs. Paul was having problems, but we didn't discover what the cause was until we got back to Mytholmroyd. More on that later ...

We took another break at Slaidburn, where Brian had lunch. Paul and I just had drinks and I polished off a cereal bar.

The road from Slaidburn is like a rollercoaster, going up and down several times until a rapid descent to Chatburn.

After that we nipped over the A59 to Downham, and then did yet another long climb (with steep sections!), this time round the northern end of Pendle Hill to Twiston Moor, followed by another fast descent, to the hamlet of Roughlee. That is immediately followed by another stiff climb, but just a short one, before another rapid descent, to Barrowford.

We rode across a bridge over the M65 and then up to Nelson.

From Nelson there is a long, draggy climb to Coldwell Activity Centre. We actually got there a few minutes after the official cut-off time but we got to use their toilets and get some water for the run back.

The nasty climb at Thursden was as nasty as usual! It always will be nasty, unless one day we got a stonking tailwind to help us up it, and I have never had one of those up there.

After the summit, the ride back to Hebden Bridge and on to Mytholmroyd felt like a welcome relief. There are a couple of small climbs but it is mainly downhill or flat.

We arrived back at HQ just in time to get some snacks before things got packed away. We met @zacklaws standing outside and he kept an eye on our bikes for us while we went inside.

Paul discovered what had been slowing him down on the ride. And wearing out his back tyre ... His seatpost had slipped down, which had plonked his Carradice saddlebag on top of the rear mudguard and pushed that down onto the tyre. There was a groove worn into the surface of the tyre by the resultant rubbing!

Littgull and I had easy rides home, unlike Paul who had to get back up to Queensbury which is at an elevation of 300+ metres, north of Halifax.

Brian watched my bike in Todmorden while I dashed into a supermarket for supplies.

I did 127 km (79 miles) in total, with around 2,700 metres (9,000 ft) of climbing, including lots of steep stuff!

Most of my photos didn't turn out but I have rotated and cropped one to get this shot of the Ribble Valley from the Nick o' Pendle. It shows the kind of scenery we had ridden over to and what the weather was like for most of the day. (We had just a few spots of rain late in the ride, but that was that. My friend Bill said that he got soaked when he arrived back in Mytholmroyd a few hours before us!)

Ribble valley from Nick-o-Pendle.jpg

That was fun!

Brian (@Littgull) and I met in Todmorden and rode over to Mytholmroyd together. My pal Bill was at event HQ but he went on ahead and we didn't see him again all day. I bumped into a former colleague and said hello to him but he didn't ride with us. Paul (@PMarkey) introduced himself and did the ride with me and Brian.

There was a good turnout, no doubt inspire by the forecast of good weather. I would be surprised if less than 100 riders took part.

It was a chilly start down in the valley but a few kms down the road, the stiff climb from Hebden Bridge to Heptonstall warmed us up.

The sun was out and it was pleasantly warm for the time of year in the sunshine, but there was a fairly strong breeze blowing which made conditions feel quite nippy in the shade and on the descents.

We had a shortish stop at the control at Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington. The climb of Waddington Fell seemed easier than in recent years so perhaps I am starting to get some of my old fitness back after all? Early days yet though - I was overtaken by lots of riders and Brian was pulling away from me on most climbs. Paul was having problems, but we didn't discover what the cause was until we got back to Mytholmroyd. More on that later ...

We took another break at Slaidburn, where Brian had lunch. Paul and I just had drinks and I polished off a cereal bar.

The road from Slaidburn is like a rollercoaster, going up and down several times until a rapid descent to Chatburn.

After that we nipped over the A59 to Downham, and then did yet another long climb (with steep sections!), this time round the northern end of Pendle Hill to Twiston Moor, followed by another fast descent, to the hamlet of Roughlee. That is immediately followed by another stiff climb, but just a short one, before another rapid descent, to Barrowford.

We rode across a bridge over the M65 and then up to Nelson.

From Nelson there is a long, draggy climb to Coldwell Activity Centre. We actually got there a few minutes after the official cut-off time but we got to use their toilets and get some water for the run back.

The nasty climb at Thursden was as nasty as usual! It always will be nasty, unless one day we got a stonking tailwind to help us up it, and I have never had one of those up there.

After the summit, the ride back to Hebden Bridge and on to Mytholmroyd felt like a welcome relief. There are a couple of small climbs but it is mainly downhill or flat.

We arrived back at HQ just in time to get some snacks before things got packed away. We met @zacklaws standing outside and he kept an eye on our bikes for us while we went inside.

Paul discovered what had been slowing him down on the ride. And wearing out his back tyre ... His seatpost had slipped down, which had plonked his Carradice saddlebag on top of the rear mudguard and pushed that down onto the tyre. There was a groove worn into the surface of the tyre by the resultant rubbing!

Littgull and I had easy rides home, unlike Paul who had to get back up to Queensbury which is at an elevation of 300+ metres, north of Halifax.

Brian watched my bike in Todmorden while I dashed into a supermarket for supplies.

I did 127 km (79 miles) in total, with around 2,700 metres (9,000 ft) of climbing, including lots of steep stuff!

Most of my photos didn't turn out but I have rotated and cropped one to get this shot of the Ribble Valley from the Nick o' Pendle. It shows the kind of scenery we had ridden over to and what the weather was like for most of the day. (We had just a few spots of rain late in the ride, but that was that. My friend Bill said that he got soaked when he arrived back in Mytholmroyd a few hours before us!)

View attachment 147221

Enjoyable report by @ColinJ and enjoyable ride and company too. Nice to meet and ride with Paul(@PMarkey as well.

Colin and I were saying as we rode through Widdop Moor that in weather like that and good quality of light the north west of England can rival anywhere else in the world for the quality of cycling. The autumn colours were an absolute delight and certainly motivated us as we took the strain of the steep climbs. A great day out on the bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I did 127 km (79 miles) in total, with around 2,700 metres (9,000 ft) of climbing,

Good job, particularly by @PMarkey who by the looks of it did the beastly ride with some extra resistance training thrown in.

Meanwhile, I was doing a 53-mile out and back up the leafy Tyne valley with a whopping 882...feet of climbing.

And it wouldn't have been that much, but we cracked on a few miles from Wylam to Prudhoe which is where the 'hills' are.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Sounds like a great ride. I was following the thread with interest- but Sunday I was engaged in a family event so couldn't come. I would have been interested to see how I would do, as I haven't done more than 10 miles at a time for an embarrassingly long while, as I mainly just cycle commute at the moment.

Chris Crossland's rides always seem to be murder! But great routes though.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds like a great ride. I was following the thread with interest- but Sunday I was engaged in a family event so couldn't come. I would have been interested to see how I would do, as I haven't done more than 10 miles at a time for an embarrassingly long while, as I mainly just cycle commute at the moment.

Chris Crossland's rides always seem to be murder! But great routes though.
@Littgull and I are planning to ride out to Waddington again in the first half of November, if you fancy joining us for that one?

I need to confirm details with him and will start a thread after doing that. It will probably be about 50 miles from Todmorden, or nearer 60 miles including the extra from Hebden Bridge.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
@Littgull and I are planning to ride out to Waddington again in the first half of November, if you fancy joining us for that one?

I need to confirm details with him and will start a thread after doing that. It will probably be about 50 miles from Todmorden, or nearer 60 miles including the extra from Hebden Bridge.

I do fancy that, yeah. I've a couple of things on in November but if I can then I'd gladly come. I've never been to Waddington but I've cycled nearby when at uni in Lancaster, pootling through Dunsop Bridge and Whitewell.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Nice thread this one Colin.

Having previously been tempted but never actually achieved a ride out with yourself & crew, I am now a little in awe of this ride.

Mission Statement .....

To train to peak physical & mental fitness & take this ride by the scruff of the neck .....

2017 is my year

I think.

Edit.

Just checked, I am only 29 miles ish from Toddy, so an hour & a bit drive out of rush hour, no excuses then.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nice thread this one Colin.

Having previously been tempted but never actually achieved a ride out with yourself & crew, I am now a little in awe of this ride.

Mission Statement .....

To train to peak physical & mental fitness & take this ride by the scruff of the neck .....

2017 is my year

I think.

Edit.

Just checked, I am only 29 miles ish from Toddy, so an hour & a bit drive out of rush hour, no excuses then.

@SteCenturion - go for it.

I've ridden with @ColinJ, @Littgull and a few of the others who turn out, and you won't get more agreeable cycling company.

There's no 'side' to any of them, so you can be sure of a warm welcome.

It's a Colin ride, which means there will be hills, but have a careful look at the profile yourself.

As leader, I think Colin sometimes over-states the difficulty a little bit because he doesn't want anyone to turn up and find they struggle.

There's usually a short-cut/bail out option, and you can be sure the company will do their best to help you around.

I didn't think a few words of encouragement or a wheel to follow would make much difference - until I benefited from it.

So even if the ride looks a bit too much for you on your own, there's a good chance you will complete it with the group.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It is looking like Brian and I will be doing a much easier ride from Todmorden to the cafe in Waddington and back on Sat, 5th November with Sun, 6th held in reserve in case of bad weather on the 6th. It WILL have some hills but not be as ridiculously hilly as SoM. The clocks will have gone back by then so we plan to set off at 09:00 to give ourselves plenty of time. I will start a new thread for it very soon so watch out for that if you are interested in joining us.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is looking like Brian and I will be doing a much easier ride from Todmorden to the cafe in Waddington and back on Sat, 5th November with Sun, 6th held in reserve in case of bad weather on the 6th. It WILL have some hills but not be as ridiculously hilly as SoM. The clocks will have gone back by then so we plan to set off at 09:00 to give ourselves plenty of time. I will start a new thread for it very soon so watch out for that if you are interested in joining us.

I shall keep an eye open.

I'd like to do the London Brighton with @User and chums that weekend, but realistically I'm struggling to face the long drive.

Tod is relatively handy from the caravan and your ride would be a nice compensatory treat for missing Adrian's.

Top Bottom