Seat bother...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldManGraham

Only me !!

On my ride today I began having trouble with my behind, seat kept getting lower and lower, the bolt simply will not tighten, nothing to hold onto to tighten it, cant understand why its suddenly decided to free itself, am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance..

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Try some carbon seatpost paste, which will work on any seatpost.

Also the bolt looks a bit old. Replacement needed?

Alternatively, have you been on the :mrpig: during lockdown? :whistle: ^_^

OP
OP
OldManGraham

OldManGraham

Try some carbon seatpost paste, which will work on any seatpost.

Also the bolt looks a bit old. Replacement needed?

Alternatively, have you been on the :mrpig: during lockdown? :whistle: ^_^
Indeed there has been lots of food consumed, the bike is nearly 40 years old, I may have to try the seatpost paste if I cant fix it, thanks. 👍

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I doubt the paste will help if the bolt isn't holding tight any more, BICBW.

What's the bike? Someone here may know how it fixed and even any common failures of that type of fixing.

It could even be that the bolt has snapped inside the housing but in a way that doesn't let it simply fall out. Have you tried undoing it?

OP
OP
OldManGraham

OldManGraham

I doubt the paste will help if the bolt isn't holding tight any more, BICBW.

What's the bike? Someone here may know how it fixed and even any common failures of that type of fixing.

It could even be that the bolt has snapped inside the housing but in a way that doesn't let it simply fall out. Have you tried undoing it?
Raleigh Winner, yes it isn't coming out anytime soon, seems such a simple problem, but then again could be completely knackered.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can you do up the bolt? Is it just turning and turning? Try a new bolt as suggested above.
If the bolt is not faulty it could be the frame itself maybe has a crack which means it will never get fully tight.
Also looks like there a bit of corrosion inside the seat tube do clean that out.

OP
OP
OldManGraham

OldManGraham

It tightens then loosens, like its cross threaded which it simply isnt, I will inspect the seat tube further thanks.

OP
OP
OldManGraham

OldManGraham

The nearest end of the bolt should have a key on it that locates in a slot on the frame, thus keeping it from rotating as you tighten the nut. Possible that the key and/or frame are damaged? Or that the bolt is in the wrong way around?
View attachment 541449
What can I use if anything on this key, I usually plump for a hammer but I feel that wont work... thanks.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The seat lugs on frames often get chewed up by overtightening or when a seatbolt with an anti-rotation lug on one side turns out to be harder than the lug. It is a common repair needed before a respray but uneconomic on a Winner unless it is of great sentimental value. There are other solutions, including a different bolt and nut or even cutting off the "ears", tidying up and using an external seat collar.

Top Bottom