Seat bother...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
If the lugs are "chewed up" couldn't one of these also be a solution?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...034959?hash=item1ef972470f:g:2WgAAOSwjMtb-qzz

I think that you could use an Allen key both sides to stop the bolt rotating as it tightens

These are a copy of the old Campagnolo seat bolts, they’re a very elegant and effective solution.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Campag ones are almost unique* as they have no anti-rotation lug, just some serrations. Frames designed for them don't have the slot for the lug on the bolt. The Campag bolts cost £20 or more and have a reputation for snapping without warning.

*Ofmega also made them

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Campag ones are almost unique* as they have no anti-rotation lug, just some serrations. Frames designed for them don't have the slot for the lug on the bolt. The Campag bolts cost £20 or more and have a reputation for snapping without warning.

*Ofmega also made them

2 x Campag ones on both my road ikes, only 30 years old ! Snapping - only by babboons that do them up too tight.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, I found myself with an undersized seatpost tiday. Nice Campag aero 27.2 post but someone had polished the scratches out below the max line so it was more like 27.0. Rather than muller the seatbolt, I made a shim from a Coke can. Aluminium cans are about 0.1mm thick.

Gunk

Guru
2 x Campag ones on both my road ikes, only 30 years old ! Snapping - only by babboons that do them up too tight.

I’ve got an eBay £5.00 lookalikee on my Raleigh Ti with the correct slot and it works really well.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As above; whip the nut off, bolt out and inspect them. It has to be one of four things:

- Lug has been chewed off the bolt
- Notch has been chewed out of the frame
- A combination of the two above
- Thread has stripped on the nut or bolt

Best case it'll be an issue with the bolt rather than the frame as this is a lot easier to fix.. easiest fix if the frame is shafted would be to replace the bolt with a conventional (imperial) replacement with washer, or replace the nut and bolt with metric equivalents if possible (I'd guess around M8 as long as there's clearance for the nut and bolt head). An elegant solution would to be use a closed / acorn nut and botton socket bolt ;)

Top Bottom