Seat clamp advice required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Sorry but I don't understand how you didn't notice the clamp was broken when you fitted the saddle, and if you did why didn't you act on it then? I'm surprised the saddle wasn't already fitted to the post - that's how the one on my Rose was delivered. You should be able to find out the brand by checking the original specifications. Rose often fit Ritchey seatposts. I don't think I've ever seen a steel clamp on a carbon seatpost (or on an alloy one, for that matter) - they are usually cast. If you are worried fit a new seatpost, but any carbon one could potentially fail catastrophically. Maybe an alloy one might put your mind at rest?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sorry but I don't understand how you didn't notice the clamp was broken when you fitted the saddle, and if you did why didn't you act on it then? I'm surprised the saddle wasn't already fitted to the post - that's how the one on my Rose was delivered.
Have another read of the OP.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Have another read of the OP.
I have. I still don't understand how one would not notice the clamp was broken, and how you could fit the saddle backwards. Was the post in the frame when delivered? Or was the saddle attached to the seatpost in the box? Was everything loose? Did the OP change the saddle? No matter, that's history- if he wants to change the post , why not?

Tim Hall

I have. I still don't understand how one would not notice the clamp was broken, and how you could fit the saddle backwards. Was the post in the frame when delivered? Or was the saddle attached to the seatpost in the box? Was everything loose? Did the OP change the saddle? No matter, that's history- if he wants to change the post , why not?
I can't see where in the OP it says he fitted the saddle backwards. Mind you I'm short on coffee today so may have missed that.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Perhaps you missed this post
I did miss it, but this (NB Dec 17 post) is not the original saddle rail clamp, it's the OP having replaced the broken clamp (a fortnight ago) (read the OP). Like your new Rose sourced bike, I'll bet the saddle was fitted the seat post on delivery: but he did not recognise it as broken for months.
But as you say, if he wants to change the post - why not? (though worth him establishing 'why? imo)

Summary & conclusion.

The new clamp is fitted to the saddle.

(For youngoldbloke) The clamp material is cast aluminium.

I am trusting that the new clamp will not fail.

When time permits, I may fabricate a steel clamp to keep in the bike bag-they are a small light item.(No one wants to be stranded miles from home).

Thank you to all who contributed to the saga. :okay:

Wishing you all peace over the festive season. :smooch:

If you must drink lots of alcohol-think of how you will feel the next day.:cheers:

Be aware of ice when out on the bikes-stay safe.:bicycle:

Top Bottom