Seat clamp advice required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What are my options in respect of obtaining a stronger seat clamp?

When my Rose cycle was delivered Oct 2015, it arrived with a broken seat clamp.

At the time, I observed that the bottom half of the 2 piece clamp was not aligned directly opposite the top half, but I did not realise this was because it was actually broken. It had probably been over tightened at the factory.

(I rode the bike for several months with no adverse effects. It was only when I wanted to make some adjustments that I observed that the clamp was broken).

I obtained a new clamp, but now wished I had sourced something stronger. The clamp is made from thin brittle aluminium and with shipping from Germany are not cheap for what they are..

My questons:
1: Can I obtain a stronger clamp made from steel preferably?

2: If not, can I obtain a much thicker/ stronger aluminium clamp?

3: Am I restricted to the exact same clamp while ever I am using the existing carbon seat post that came with the bike?

4: Would the best option be to cut my losses and simply buy another carbon seat post that has a much stronger clamp?

Any other suggests please?

Attachments

• 20170425_113642.jpg
    20170425_113642.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 42

Drago

Legendary Member
New seat post, job done. Not all that glitters, is carbon - the magic C word doesn't automatically bestow magical properties on an item, and there are as many s***e carbon items as there are great ones. A new seat post from a reputable brand won't cost a lot and will cure your woes.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Could be you overstressed the original clamp when you fitted the seatpost back to front! I believe Rose and their brand 'Extreme' to be perfectly reputable and I can't believe they would supply components not fit for purpose. However, you can easily source a heavier alloy seatpost if you so desire. Steel used for this sort of application, unlikely, and would rather defeat the point of buying a lightweight bike in the first place.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I wouldn't advise buying a cheap carbon seatpost, it could fail miles from home & you'll have to ride home out of the saddle or get a lift :blush: Luckily I only had 7 miles to go when mine failed

davidphilips

Veteran
When you do fit a new seat post alloy or carbon be sure to use carbon assembly paste if either the seat post or frame are carbon or some oil/grease/anti seize if both alloy.

Ajax Bay

Guru
it could fail miles from home & you'll have to ride home out of the saddle or get a lift :blush: Luckily I only had 7 miles to go when mine failed
A 'cycling to the East Devon pub' fellow rider suffered a broken carbon seat post at Thirsk, 1013km into London-Edinburgh-London (with 400km odd still to go, after the bike shops had closed). Ride over.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have a magic Thompson seat clamp on my Ti bike. It requires just 2.8Nm to hold the post as apposed to the Ti one which requires 12Nm. The Ti one is a swanky double banded thing that I broke with ease. The Thompson one has an interesting shape which I read somewhere is part of the wizardry behind it's super powers. Comes in all colours.

Others may knows more.

Could be you overstressed the original clamp when you fitted the seatpost back to front! I believe Rose and their brand 'Extreme' to be perfectly reputable and I can't believe they would supply components not fit for purpose. However, you can easily source a heavier alloy seatpost if you so desire. Steel used for this sort of application, unlikely, and would rather defeat the point of buying a lightweight bike in the first place.

It is not physically possible for the bottom half of the clamp to not be aligned with the top half when clamped together (see 3rd paragraph of my OP)

Two allen screws go through the centre of each half sandwiching the seat rails.They cannot separate from each other along the seat rails. For this reason, the clamp was definitely broken before delivery of the cycle.

I agree it is not appropiate to fit a steel seat post on a carbon cycle, but I have not suggested that. I have suggested a steel clamp-which would only weigh a few grams and would be far stronger.

New seat post, job done. Not all that glitters, is carbon - the magic C word doesn't automatically bestow magical properties on an item, and there are as many s***e carbon items as there are great ones. A new seat post from a reputable brand won't cost a lot and will cure your woes.

Good point. Can you suggest a reputable brand of seat post for me to check out please? I would not want to be miles from home and have one snap on me as mentioned in this thread.

Top Bottom