Seat high enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
aJohnson said:
Hi, I'm just curious as to if my seat is high enough up,

I can see two empty family-size choccy tins and one 'family assortment' biscuit tin on the shelf behind you you lard bucket! If you weren't eatin' that lot your saddle-d porbably sit higher due to the reduced mass perched on top of it! ;)

brodie

large_bikeleg.jpg

IMO it's too high in this photo. The leg is virtually straight and it looks like if the leg is locked out the heel will be several cm from from the pedal. Also look at the angle of the thigh, it's sloping down too much, it's more like the correct angle when the cranks are horizontal.

It looks like the saddle pack is actually the saddle and the rider is starting to pull him/herself off the saddle to ride out of the saddle.

yenrod

brodie said:
large_bikeleg.jpg

IMO it's too high in this photo. The leg is virtually straight and it looks like if the leg is locked out the heel will be several cm from from the pedal. Also look at the angle of the thigh, it's sloping down too much, it's more like the correct angle when the cranks are horizontal.

It looks like the saddle pack is actually the saddle and the rider is starting to pull him/herself off the saddle to ride out of the saddle.

Looks, too high to me, too !

IMO - its all about 'playing about' like Yello says...going by feel is what I do.

Recently, Ive put my saddle forward and up, feels great ! More 'immediate' power.

Where most bike rifers fall down is Top-Tube length or riders not realising they need longer stems and lower saddle heights/sitting forward enough on the bike...

I ride a 140mm stem on a 23" TT - I'm right in the middle of the bike, balanced between the wheels, properly.

Its 1 thing to have a good plumb line from knee to pedal axle but what about the saddle height AND reach ?

Ride for 3hrs + on a bike then you'll actually realise if you sitting comfortably, performing to your maximum.

yello

brodie said:
IMO it's too high in this photo. The leg is virtually straight and it looks like if the leg is locked out the heel will be several cm from from the pedal.

I see what your saying. The heel on pedal test is a good one imho.

Also, the 'saddle up jacksy' test is a good one. If the saddle feels wedged up there, when your clipped in, then it's probably too high! You'd probably find yourself rocking side-to-side as you pedalled. Note for all 'taint pain sufferers, check your saddle isn't too high... it only need be a couple of mm for it to become uncomfortable after time.

brodie

Looking at that photo again, it looks like the crank is not in line with the seat tube. I think it's not a good photo for showing how to adjust the saddle height.

These are pics of Hinault's position from the book "Road Racing" by Hinault and Genzling (1988). The book advocates a high and back position.

HinaultridingpositionRoadRacingHina.jpg

Attachments

• HinaultridingpositionRoadRacingHina.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 15

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
large_bikeleg.jpg

Re’ the above pic and the leg extension, I would also agree with those who have commented that it does indeed look high, it’s is a picture of a Specialized BG fit being done as apposed to the final position; I used it purely to show how the measurement is taken.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom