Seat Post Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
"I have about 1.5" in......"

All sorts of facetious & disgusting responses come to mind....

But there should be a "minimum insertion" mark on the seat post.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The problem is sometimes long seatposts are sawn to save weight, so the minimum insertion mark even if left becomes meaningless. For what it is worth, I have yet to see a minimum insertion mark for an uncut post that is less than 3 or 4 inches.

Crankarm

Guru
The more you have in the hole the better. I wouldn't want to save weight in this area as the consequences can be serious. So max length and max insertion with a nice tight clamp around the head of the tube. You need a good lubricant/anti seize paste as well :sad:.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Regardless of the manufacturer's minimum insertion mark, you should always have enough in the frame that it extends below the toptube (particularly important if you've got a frame with an extended seattube).
Personally, my rule of thumb is at least a third of the seatpost should be within the frame (e.g. 300mm seatpost length = 100mm insertion).

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've now got a new seat post and about 50% is inserted. I won't be chopping anything off either.

The only time I've ever sawn off a seat post was when it went so far down into the seat tube it was fouling on the bottle bosses and was still too high for me. It was quite a long post.

Top Bottom