Seat set back help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, just looking at my bike and lately it has been given me a slight pain in my left knee. At a quick guess I think the seat was to far forward so I have pushed it back and this has helped. I still have the odd slight niggle so was going to move it back a little more but not sure if I can, I have a photo below and the larger support under the seat is on the max line where the smaller mount on the seat had about 10mm spare. Can I move it back anymore?
I am planning on getting a bike fit once everywhere reopens fully so just trying to get as comfortable as possible untill then. I have just slid my cleats back a little to see if that helps

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's about your limit I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Thanks all I’m fairly confident in the saddle height being right. I will just leave it as it is for now, just done a 50miler and only had minor discomfort towards the end whereas the other day before moving it back more I was in proper pain at 20miles. Hopefully the the few mill iv gained sliding the cleats back will remove the pain fully but I can bear it for now untill my bike fit then I will see if anything else is suggested

OldShep

Über Member
Unless you’re a time trialer and want to sit forward leaning on your elbows fore and aft IMO is more about finding your balance point. Once found then up and down will equal the load on quads and hamstrings.
your knee pain is often caused by one of those muscle groups working too hard.
You do realise you’ve committed a cardinal sin by making two adjustments at once. If you knee pain goes which was it saddle or cleats ?

The inline style of post is great for riders like me who need to jam their saddle as far forward as possible. If you want to go further back get a traditional layback style post.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Unless you’re a time trialer and want to sit forward leaning on your elbows fore and aft IMO is more about finding your balance point. Once found then up and down will equal the load on quads and hamstrings.
your knee pain is often caused by one of those muscle groups working too hard.
You do realise you’ve committed a cardinal sin by making two adjustments at once. If you knee pain goes which was it saddle or cleats ?
Yes I know but I haven’t touched the saddle today only the cleats so will try that and see how it is.
The pain isn’t unbearable so will just tolerate it untill my fitting is sorted hopefully now it Won’t be long till they start

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The pain isn’t unbearable so will just tolerate it until my fitting is sorted hopefully now it Won’t be long till they start
Pain doesn't necessarily start off unbearable, but it can get there in the end... Do you really want to wait for that to happen, and then wish that you had sorted the problem out earlier? :whistle:

I once bought some cycling shoes which were a bit too tight for me. I didn't think that they were unbearably uncomfortable so I decided to wear them on a ride and see if they stretched enough to fit me. They didn't! In just a few hours I did so much damage to my feet that I couldn't ride my bike for a couple of months after that...

OldShep

Über Member
i rarely watch videos as most need severe editing and take too long to tell you something.
Ive watched Christopher through to the end and he’s not bad is he. Very good advice. I thought I was going to fall out with him over the plumb line but he redeems himself at the end The handle at through the axle is so very true. Every bike Ive done a big mileage on has followed that rule.
My way of setting fore and aft on the saddle is not for everyone to try so it comes with a DONT try this at home unless you are a very confident cyclist. Then I suppose if your a confident cyclist you’ll have it set right anyway. Best keep it to myself :laugh::laugh:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I once changed saddles - an LBS fitted the new saddle (as they were also doing other work) and they measured the location of the old saddle and matched it with the new one. Within 10 miles I had a niggling knee pain and after 20 miles my knee was done and I was off the bike for three months with tendonitis. I lowered the saddle by about 5mm and it solved it. I was amazed that such a small difference could make such a large difference.

Top Bottom