Seat-Stay Light Mounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My CGR has two rear lights mounted on the seat-stays

'Up To Press', they're just normal seat-pin mounts, but they're not vertical
One has a piece of foam under it, to realign to a certain extent

As seen here;
Lighting. 14.jpg Lighting. 17.jpg

Does anyone know of any 'adaptors' that can be used?
Or has anyone made them, with a 3D printer?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I have Smart rear lights on each seatstay on my audax bike - no adaptor needed as the bracket tilts.

Seeing your issue foam would do it, or you'd have to make your own mount.

Sharky

Guru
It looks like the bottom of the light is already touching the seat stay, so to make it vertical, the bracket would need a fair bit of padding to push it out. This could weaken the fixings and make it prone to twisting into the spokes?

You already have two other lights on the seat post, so four may be an overkill.

If night time riding, I would recommend reflective slap bands for the ankles.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It doesn’t sound like you are shopping around, but if you are, my Moon Comet X has a ‘ratchet’ system of sorts on one attachment that will allow you to set it to most angles of seat stays.

Wow it has amazing properties, it repels cars

"As well as keeping cars and other road users at bay, as they approach you from behind, the light also warns road users when cycling roundabouts and when pulling out of tight cross junctions or blind corners"

It doesn’t sound like you are shopping around, but if you are, my Moon Comet X has a ‘ratchet’ system of sorts on one attachment that will allow you to set it to most angles of seat stays.
I bought the seat-pin & l/h seat-stay lights in November, & the r/h seat-stay about a month ago, so I'm not that eager to purchase replacements, unless I have to
(top Smart light is at least 10 years old)

It looks like the bottom of the light is already touching the seat stay, so to make it vertical, the bracket would need a fair bit of padding to push it out. This could weaken the fixings and make it prone to twisting into the spokes?
If a bracket could be constructed, I'd mount it more firmly than the silicone band allows ('big' zip-ties/hose-clip)

You already have two other lights on the seat post, so four may be an overkill
Nope. 4's fine by me
'Built in' fail-safe

If night time riding, I would recommend reflective slap bands for the ankles.
Yes, I have them on wrists & ankles

Bottom line, far too embarrassing being returned to work, in a 'big yellow truck'...…………………..:okay:

Co-incidence!!

I mentioned above about my considering 4 lights a 'fail-safe'
Whilst it still was illuminated, my l/h seat-stay light wasn't pulsing, or as bright, when I turned it on this morning (04:30 ish)
Thus, the 3 compensated

Oh!, & there's 4 on the front too
The blue light in the first picture had been replaced by another Cateye, like the 'near-side' light (as seen in 2nd pic)

Lighting. 7.JPG Lighting. 18.jpg

Plus 4 'Lidl' specials on the helmet, not used since clocks went forward
Lighting. 9.JPG

Have always worried about seatstay mounted light getting into spokes. Anyone ever had a problem?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Have always worried about seatstay mounted light getting into spokes. Anyone ever had a problem?
I have no problems with seat stay mounts. Just make sure they are done up tight with either a rubber strip or insulation tape wrapped around the stay inside the clamp.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fibre flares are good on seat stays. Because the LED reflects out via a short length of fibre optic and mirrors it has a nice diffused light. So no blinding the rider behind from direct view LEDs on cheaper lights.

Good morning,

If you have a Poundland near you it may be worth buying one of their lights and seeing if you can do a bit of DIY.

The light mounting is a band than wraps around the seat stay, possibly with a bit of padding and an arm that sticks out to the side of the seat stay so that it can be rotated. The light then slides into the sticking out bit with a plastic tab on the back to locate it.

You would need to create a similar tab/cut off the Poundland light one and glue it on.

The light itself is fine for a pound but the batteries bounce out of their position when you hit a big bump and drop themselves and the red plastic lense onto the road, a strong elastic band helps to avoid this.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom