Seat Stay Light which one help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi

My current rear setup includes a Mars V3 on the seat post which is excellent, a cat eye safety light on my rucksack and a Knog Frog on the seat stay.

I want to replace the Knog with something a little more substantial but it will have to be attached to the seat stay as I have a saddle bag restricting available space on the seat post.

Any ideas I was thinking of the Blackburn flee but am not sure if this can be mounted on the seat stays.

OvertheHill

Über Member

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd get a Smart 1/2 watt (old shape). They do come with a seatstay bracket as well as the seatpost one, or at least mine did.

Note that the Cateye LD600 are no good for seatstay use, though they look like they should be. I'd assume other lights the same shape are similar.
The problem is that the bracket doesn't allow the centre of the light to be placed far enough from the stay for the light to be positioned vertically. The lower end hits the stay first, unless you have an unusually large frame with a short rear end (27" horizontal top tube racing bike). The result is that the light ends up pointing upwards straight into the eyes of anyone riding behind (hence this comment) rather than directly backwards. It may look bright from just behind the bike, but if you view it from 50-100m off where a car driver would be, it can look remarkably dim.

Top Bottom