Seatpost Clamp Woes & Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm finding the seatpost is slipping slightly on rides.

I was simply going to replace the clamp with a twin bolt jobbie, something like THIS, and use some carbon assembly paste, but, when I went to measure the seat tube for the clamp size I was reminded that the frame has braze ons that the current pinch bolt fits into.

This doesn't leave much room above them for a clamp.

So am I stuck with it, (I'll still whack some carbon paste on it anyway), or is there a way to fit a clamp to this frame, or any other better set up than just a pinch bolt?

BTW it only moves about an inch over 20 miles, but it needs sorting.

Seatpost Clamp.jpg Untitled.png

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
You can get a ring that clamps round the seatpost and rests on the top of your seatube, I have one on a carbon post.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I cannot see any other way, unless you remove the braze ons

Saying that what size is the seatpost ?

It may be possible to use a "lipless" clamp directly to the seatpost itself, in conjunction with the current locking system

Such a setup would stop the post sliding down past the clamp - theoretically

Threevok

You may want to have a look at something like a Brave Pogo seatclamp

I use a double one on the single speed, but a single should suffice for your needs.

They are a bit "punk" looking but they have no lip and clamp well

Here's mine on the SS but they are available in other colours (grey would be nice)

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
You may want to have a look at something like a Brave Pogo seatclamp

I use a double one on the single speed, but a single should suffice for your needs.

They are a bit "punk" looking but they have no lip and clamp well

Here's mine on the SS but they are available in other colours (grey would be nice)
I don't mind the look of it per se, but I just don't think it would fit.

Untitled.png

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Sounds like only N+1 will solve your dilemma.

Threevok

Don't clamp it to the frame, clamp it to the post only, butted up tight to the lip of the frame.

That way, the post can't slip past that point

You would still use your existing bolt to clamp the frame to the post

Any clamp of the correct size should suffice, providing it has no lip

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Don't clamp it to the frame, clamp it to the post only, butted up tight to the lip of the frame.

That way, the post can't slip past that point

You would still use your existing bolt to clamp the frame to the post
D'oh! I see now, my bad :crazy:

So, (obvious question alert), you find this set up works OK for you then, and presumably you just buy it the same size as your seat post and your seat tube size doesn't come into it?

Threevok

I had the same problem on my son's old BMX, which also clamped the same way as yours. I fixed it using a BMX seatpost clamp (no lip) on the seatpost. The trick is to find one that will clamp up far enough. I know the pogo I have on the SS will (at 28.6)

The reason I have the double on the Virtue is to counteract the known seattube cracking problems, that sent a lot of these frames to an early grave.

Venod

Eh up
D'oh! I see now, my bad :crazy:

So, (obvious question alert), you find this set up works OK for you then, and presumably you just buy it the same size as your seat post and your seat tube size doesn't come into it?
Yes seat post size. mine came with the post it's only plastic but effective.

Top Bottom