Seatpost Clamp Woes & Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I had the same problem on my son's old BMX, which also clamped the same way as yours. I fixed it using a BMX seatpost clamp (no lip) on the seatpost. The trick is to find one that will clamp up far enough. I know the pogo I have on the SS will (at 28.6)

The reason I have the double on the Virtue is to counteract the known seattube cracking problems, that sent a lot of these frames to an early grave.
They don't seem to be the easiest thing to find now, and the sizes quoted seem like they wouldn't work either :cry:

Untitled.png

Might be time to go and see Damian at DJ CYLES for a chat :okay:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I can recommend Thompson clamps. Only about 5nm needed as they are very powerful so you shouldn't crush anything. Not sure how this is achieved. Unusual profile has some sort of mechanical advantage?

Lots of lovely colours. Orange. Go orange.

Just a thought. How about gripper paste? Sure it's for carbon, but worth a try. He says and you end up with an aluminium colon.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Maybe able to get one on ebay - but that was just an example

As mentioned above Thompson would do just as well

Just to add to that, I seem to remember someone on another forum using a jubilee clip.

A bit ugly though

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I'm finding the seatpost is slipping slightly on rides.

I was simply going to replace the clamp with a twin bolt jobbie, something like THIS, and use some carbon assembly paste, but, when I went to measure the seat tube for the clamp size I was reminded that the frame has braze ons that the current pinch bolt fits into.

This doesn't leave much room above them for a clamp.

So am I stuck with it, (I'll still whack some carbon paste on it anyway), or is there a way to fit a clamp to this frame, or any other better set up than just a pinch bolt?

BTW it only moves about an inch over 20 miles, but it needs sorting.

View attachment 365632 View attachment 365640

After all the replies, I like skol has the answer as it is a new bike. Also, have you actually tried it with just carbon paste? It's good stuff.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If the seat post clamp isn't clamping the seat post when tightened to the manufacturers specified torque then fire the problem back to the bike supplier rather than bodging it! If there is a product or inherent design fault on your very new bike then don't accept it.

After all the replies, I like skol has the answer as it is a new bike. Also, have you actually tried it with just carbon paste? It's good stuff.

my sentiments completely , dont mess with it

screenman

Legendary Member
Drill a large hole right through the frame and seat post and use a stonking great nut and bolt, trim the end off if it is sticking out or you might catch your leg on it.

Or of course, take it back to the shop.

If the seat post clamp isn't clamping the seat post when tightened to the manufacturers specified torque then fire the problem back to the bike supplier rather than bodging it! If there is a product or inherent design fault on your very new bike then don't accept it.

This ^^^^^^

Also, you could try taking the bolt out, greasing the threads & moving surfaces and cranking it back up again. Also worth checking that the bolt isn't bottoming out against itself before achieving the correct clamping force on the seatpost. This is usually easy to resolve by taking a mm or two off the nut with a file.

Venod

Eh up
This is usually easy to resolve by taking a mm or two off the nut with a file.

Won't it still bottom out ? you will just have a narrower nut, a washer or threading the bolt further down the shank would cure it, or I have misinterpreted your suggestion?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Might sound like a stupid question - but is the reason your existing bolt isn't tightening enough, because it's running out of thread ?

If so, surely the addition of a washer under the nut would help ?

If not, please ignore

gbb

Legendary Member
Might sound like a stupid question - but is the reason your existing bolt isn't tightening enough, because it's running out of thread ?

If so, surely the addition of a washer under the nut would help ?

If not, please ignore
Good point and worth checking. . sometimes we see the problem as complicated and often it's simple.

Top Bottom