Seatpost diameter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why cannot seatpost manufacturers engrave the seatpost size somewhere at the top of the post rather than at the bottom, where, on an alloy post, it is very likely to get made unreadable after removing and adjusting it many times over the years?

Not a major problem, I know, but an annoying little detail that would simplify buying a new post if you don't have accurate measuring tools.

You don't know all your seat post sizes off by heart? Call yourself a cyclist? Jeesh.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Why cannot seatpost manufacturers engrave the seatpost size somewhere at the top of the post rather than at the bottom, where, on an alloy post, it is very likely to get made unreadable after removing and adjusting it many times over the years?
Not a major problem, I know, but an annoying little detail that would simplify buying a new post if you don't have accurate measuring tools.
I agree it can be a pain - I assume that the aesthetic penalty of a marking where it can be seen is 'not acceptable' to the makers/sellers, and probably to most cyclists too. But your case is slightly flawed: when buying a new post the size marking will be pristine and not worn off, and surely every rider worth their salt knows the diameter of the seat post of each of their bikes. If a rider has so many bikes and is not prepared to document the sizes, then ownership of calipers is a requirement where N>3.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
I agree it can be a pain - I assume that the aesthetic penalty of a marking where it can be seen is 'not acceptable' to the makers/sellers, and probably to most cyclists too. But your case is slightly flawed: when buying a new post the size marking will be pristine and not worn off, and surely every rider worth their salt knows the diameter of the seat post of each of their bikes. If a rider has so many bikes and is not prepared to document the sizes, then ownership of calipers is a requirement where N>3.

Many people like to buy old bikes, and some, whisper it quietly, like to have many of them.

The aesthetic penalty does not really exist as there are many easily accessible places to put three small digits which cannot be easily seen unless you want to.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
You don't know all your seat post sizes off by heart? Call yourself a cyclist? Jeesh.

At my age I can hardly remember the names of my kids, never mind bloody seatpost sizes!

I bought a rear wheel a couple of weeks ago for a bike I'm building, and only after I'd bought it did I find I had one the right size and cassette in the pile of spare wheels in the shed.

I think I am a cyclist, but I know I'm not a proper cyclist.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Try getting a seat post from Ann Summers..you'll know the exact size !!!

But I agree27.2 , 30, 30.9 and 31.6?? Why not have just one size or at the most 2 for the road and MTB.

Venod

Eh up
But I agree27.2 , 30, 30.9 and 31.6??

A few missing there.

s-l225.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Measure the post with a vernier, always good to have one in the toolbox. A very useful tool to have.

In the olden days they were very expensive. Now, even a tramp like me can afford one from Screwfix. I brought one home a couple of years ago and showed it off to my 80 year old engineer neighbour. He held it like the Magna Carta and purred gently. Quietly hinting I wasn’t worthy and should stick to the ‘Poor Man’s Adjustable Spanner method’.

Then I told him the price. (Less than £20) I think he thinks I nicked it.

Why not have just one size or at the most 2 for the road and MTB.

Because of progress. We went from thick-walled pipe, to drawn CroMo tubing, to oversize aluminium, to odd-shaped carbon, with a detour via Russian-supplied titanium tubing to get where we are today. Count your lucky stars that there are only a few standards. You'll find that on modern bikes it is we play around with just three sizes, if we exclude silly proprietary triangular and oval shapes like that found on TT bikes.

Top Bottom