Seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think I need a new seatpost. Bike is making a creaking noise under acceleration ie when I push back on the saddle. I don't think it's the frame (although I am paranoid about my frame) so I think it's something to do with the saddle rails or the seatpost or the clamp. I've currently got a Ritchey carbon fibre seat post in and I'm thinking of swapping for an alloy one. Can anyone recommend a good make (preferably less than £50 though). It has to be long, 400mm would be good and I think it's a 27.2 size.

If anyone has ideas of what else could me making the noise please comment cos it's driving me nuts.

Ta

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
For alloy posts the Thomson Elite (available in both inline and setback versions) are actually as light as carbon and generally very well thought of. They usually cost around £60 but Merlin is selling an inline one for £52 all-in.

raindog

er.....
Perhaps it needs a thin smear of grease where it goes into the frame, other than that I can't believe your seat post is the culprit for the creaking noise. But if you're set on chucking it away, can you chuck it in my direction? :blush:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks. I'll try the grease. I've sprayed some oil type stuff on it and it's got better but hasn't disappeared entirely.

I'll also have a look at the Thomson stuff, cheers.

I can't think of anything else it can be other than a seatpost/saddle issue.

M

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok tried the grease. It kinda worked. The creak went for a while but the saddle keeps twisting. Was a real pain on the pootle in Kent on Sunday. Creak is also back slightly but still with a twisty saddle.

So my next plan is to replace the carbon seatpost with an alloy one. Is there any reason apart from possible aesthetics why I shouldn't put an alloy seatpost on a carbon bike?

Ta

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I've just fitted a Truvativ XR double clamp post, think it was about 20 quid from CRC. Seems fine and the double clamp makes tilt adjustment very easy.

paul

jimboalee

Ok tried the grease. It kinda worked. The creak went for a while but the saddle keeps twisting. Was a real pain on the pootle in Kent on Sunday. Creak is also back slightly but still with a twisty saddle.

So my next plan is to replace the carbon seatpost with an alloy one. Is there any reason apart from possible aesthetics why I shouldn't put an alloy seatpost on a carbon bike?

Ta

Don't grease a carbon seatpost. They are far too smooth.
Wash it off.
Next step is to wrap a couple of turns of PTFE tape around the bottom of the seatpost and up the seatpost where it is in the frame. NOT at the clamp.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Don't grease a carbon seatpost. They are far too smooth.
Wash it off.
Next step is to wrap a couple of turns of PTFE tape around the bottom of the seatpost and up the seatpost where it is in the frame. NOT at the clamp.

Cheers Jimboalee. Will this cure the creak too or just the twisting? Will have to get some PTFE tape from plumber brother-in-law.:tongue:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm a stoopid, stoopid, stoopid person!!! After actually having a look rather than just thinking "oh it's slipping and creaking, must be where the seat post goes in the seat tube", I've found that the actual problem area is the seat clamp on the seat post spins through around 90 degrees with a horrible noise!! Can't see anyway of stopping that happening.

Top Bottom