Second City Divide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
In a bid to have something to look forward to next year, has anyone done the second city divide yet?

Global pandemic allowing, I'm hoping to have a crack over the Easter holidays and will be giving myself ample time as it looks like a bit of a mammoth on paper. I should have a choice of bikes depending on weather but I'm hoping to be comfortable on my still not yet delivered Kona Unit X.

Any advice?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Get a bike with gears.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Hmm, this sounds interesting. (Both cities have good access to some nice towns, too! )

Is there a version of the website with text I can read? :-/
Sorry, information is a bit thin on the ground aside from the official website which I assume is the one you are struggling with - hence me asking!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I recognise a fair few of the tracks. I presume you found the full route here

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30900602

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Does the event not take part in September ? Or can you do the
route at any time of the year.

it’s an open route so free to do it anytime of the year. Just no free beer at the end! Which I must admit is a pain.
Never the less, The more I look at the route the more days I’m giving myself 😂

mike chadwick

Astrobike
I might do this in September (not for the beer of course 😂) was thinking
7 days should be enough that's about 50 kilometer a day should be fine
no great rush..

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Thanks for posting this. Looks great and I may well have a go in 2021 by when I hope to have a gravel/adventure bike.

Choosing the "right" bike looks to be one of the hardest questions for this route. I know the area north of Manchester from Rochdale up to Burnley really well and I sure as hell wouldn't choose to do that part of the route on anything less than an inch of tyre - but I hear there are long stretches of rolling gravel on the scottish side that you'd want to get on the drops and plough on with given the chance. 6 of one...!

Top Bottom