Second hand bike - how much would you pay for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I don't imagine for an instant that discs are the equivalent of ABS...

What’s the answer to the question I asked?

All uphill

Still rolling along
To go somewhat against the flow if I liked the bike, it was maintained to a high standard I would happily pay 750 for it. Aluminium bikes can be excellent, rim brakes do the job and 105 is excellent.

I wonder if it's still for sale? It won't be for long.

si_c

Guru
To answer the OP I'd say £700 to £750 if indeed in pristine condition with no paintwork damage. Check the chainrings to get an idea of how much use the bike has had prior to sale.

Pre COVID I bought a "used" 1yo Trek Domane ALR with 10sp Tiagra which had done less than 100 miles for £350, but the Pandemic has really screwed with the second hand market.

As far as rim brakes vs disc brakes go, braking in the dry is little to no difference, although hydraulic discs are lighter to actuate. In the wet there is a noticeable delay in braking using rims, which gets progressively worse the wetter it is. Don't let anyone tell you there is no difference. It's manageable for most riding where you can plan your braking, but emergency braking is another matter. I'd estimate from experience for my 100kg plus bike weight it takes twice as long at 20mph to stop compared to discs.

GCN did a video if you can be bothered to look.

battered

Guru
This is how I work it out.
new £1000 ?
therefore £200 was tax
the bike was worth £800
the bike is now s/h I start at 60% of that l.e. £480
That 60% can rise if it’s in good condition, rise if I really want it or
that 60% decreases on poor condition and answering the question do I really need it?
Two years ago I bought a 4 week old bike for 50% of that calculation. Doubt I can do it under the current climate. I sold a 2 yo old bike last week at 80%.
Try those sums in the current climate. You'll get laughed at. The market shifts. What's a glass of water worth, tonight, right now, from the tap? Next to nothing. The same water in a warzone with no water supply and a cholera outbreak? Name your price.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I know, that's what I'm thinking, it seems steep for an aluminium bike. Having said that, it's the only bike in that price range to come with shimano 105. One alternative would be buying a specialized allez new (if and when I find one) that comes with claris at the same price. It's very important to find a bike with 105 so my missus and I can share a turbo trainer this winter.

Also good point about the Look pedals. I'd swap them around with a pair of flat until the missus get comfortable on the bike. Still, one less thing to buy in the future if she wants to go clipless (or I could sell the pedals and get some money back).

But yeah, the market has changed so much. I was expecting for bikes to lose 50% of their value immediately after they left the shop. Not anymore :biggrin:
Well, perhaps you’re at the point to let your gal take it for a spin and see how it feels all around. I bought a 2nd hand Trek FX 7.6 in pristine condition, Deore, Shimano 105, carbon fork, similar to what you are looking at. Previous owner had put on new rear cogs, rerun all cables, recently put on new quality tires, always kept it in the garage. Took it for a spin and fell in love with it, perfect fit. In March of 2020 I got it for $350, it was $1200 new. I had never paid anymore than $145, for my 2nd hand Bianchi mountain bike. I thought $350 was a lot! But that was right before the pandemic spiked all bike prices. So just barely over 25% of the price. But my Trek it is a 2009 model! The one you are looking at is ONE year old? Wow. If your gal loves the fit, and you can swing the price, I say make her a happy biker. 25% in your pocket can take care of goodies, repairs and extras. :okay:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The price is fair, if its o.k I'd give them £750 and a reasonable person would take this.
Long gone are the days you would get it for about half or a third of the new price.

Thanks very much for all your replies and advice.

So, on Friday afternoon after work we went to view the bike and ended up buying it for £750.

It is in immaculate conditions. No damage to the paintwork (actually the cable routing is better than the one on my Giant TCR) and no signs of cable rubbing at all. Cassette and chainrings look barely used, even the tyres are original and with little sign of usage. They seller said he did less than 500 miles on it, most of it on rollers and judging by the conditions I can easily believe it.

I tried the bike myself, the 105 is super crisp and the tektro rim brakes seemed to be working fine too at a reasonable speed (and I'm 50 pounds heavier than the missus). Size is alright although I'll be buying 2 shorter stems and I'll do some experiments to see which one gives her the best position.

For now the missus is buzzing and can't wait to use it. Let's see how long before it goes in the garage to collect dust :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Size is alright although I'll be buying 2 shorter stems and I'll do some experiments to see which one gives her the best position.
As an alternative / addition to shorter stems, to shorten the reach you can roll the bars forward /down a bit so the drop ends come in slightly closer and then move the shifters back up the bars so the hoods end up a couple of cm's or so closer to the saddle than before. obviously need to rewrap the top section of bar tape.

Top Bottom