Second hand bike - how much would you pay for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market just in case something came up that was suitable for my missus.

This Giant Contend SL 1 (2020) came up

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/contend-sl-1-2020

From the photos, the bike looks in pristine conditions, and the seller has been very helpful and informative answering all my technical questions, so I'm feeling confident they treated the bike with care and there won't be any nasty surprise.

The bike comes with a bunch of accessories such as spd pedals (look), clip on aerobars and a bunch of other stuff.

How much would you expect a bike to devalue in 1 year?

The price set is 775 quid, which I'll negotiate down to 750 at least. Seems a little steep but is it worth it for a 1 year old bike?

battered

Guru
In the current climate, given undersupply and this being the best time of year to sell a bike, 3/4 of new for a pristine example seems fair.

vickster

Legendary Member
Too much for a used aluminium bike with rim brakes IMO but it’s a sellers market. You’ll get no warranty buying it second hand either.

Is it the right size? Will it need narrower bars, a shorter stem (as a taller woman buying men’s bikes, I would personally need to change things, especially the bars).

Look pedals are SPDSL 3 bolt type, not 2 bolt SPD so make sure you get the right shoes.

Too much for a used aluminium bike with rim brakes IMO but it’s a sellers market. You’ll get no warranty buying it second hand either.

Is it the right size? Will it need narrower bars, a shorter stem (as a taller woman buying men’s bikes, I would personally need to change things, especially the bars).

Look pedals are SPDSL 3 bolt type, not 2 bolt SPD so make sure you get the right shoes.

I know, that's what I'm thinking, it seems steep for an aluminium bike. Having said that, it's the only bike in that price range to come with shimano 105. One alternative would be buying a specialized allez new (if and when I find one) that comes with claris at the same price. It's very important to find a bike with 105 so my missus and I can share a turbo trainer this winter.

Also good point about the Look pedals. I'd swap them around with a pair of flat until the missus get comfortable on the bike. Still, one less thing to buy in the future if she wants to go clipless (or I could sell the pedals and get some money back).

But yeah, the market has changed so much. I was expecting for bikes to lose 50% of their value immediately after they left the shop. Not anymore :biggrin:

Yeah, that's another consideration: rim VS disc brakes. I've never ridden rim brakes so can't comment on how poor they are in the rain.

Kajjal

Guru
Is the gearing OK it has a 36/52 crankset and an 11-30 cassette which can be off putting for some people ?

I found Rim brakes very poor in the wet even decent quality ones with good pads, possibly due to me being a 100kg bronzed Adonis of mountain biking rather than a much slimmer rider.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never ridden rim brakes so can't comment on how poor they are in the rain.
They are fine as long as you keep the rims clean. It is possible to lock the wheels in the wet with rim brakes and you don't need more brake power than that. And that was even when I weighed 110 kg!

Having said that, rim brakes do eventually wear through rims. I would go for disk brakes on any future bikes. (My current collection is currently half one type, half the other.)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yeah, that's another consideration: rim VS disc brakes. I've never ridden rim brakes so can't comment on how poor they are in the rain.
The limiting factor of stopping a road bike in the rain, is not the grip of the brake pad on the disc or rim, its the 1 penny sized piece of rubber gripping the road. The brake blocks will clear any water from the rim in a nano second, which may be half a nano second slower (or faster) than a pad clears a disc rotor, but its still a nano second.

Disc brakes have a clear advantage when you are riding on muddy offroad stuff, as the rotor is further from the crap than a wheel rim.

A decent rim brake will stop a bike better than a cheap cable disc brake, and be loads simpler to set up an maintain. A high quality cable disc brake or a decent hydraulic disc brake will as good as a rim brake, but more involved to maintain.

Also for two equal priced bikes, the disc brake model will have had to skimp somewhere else to offset the higher cost of a disc system.

OldShep

Über Member
This is how I work it out.
new £1000 ?
therefore £200 was tax
the bike was worth £800
the bike is now s/h I start at 60% of that l.e. £480
That 60% can rise if it’s in good condition, rise if I really want it or
that 60% decreases on poor condition and answering the question do I really need it?
Two years ago I bought a 4 week old bike for 50% of that calculation. Doubt I can do it under the current climate. I sold a 2 yo old bike last week at 80%.

Top Bottom