Second hand bike - how much would you pay for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Thanks very much for all your replies and advice.

So, on Friday afternoon after work we went to view the bike and ended up buying it for £750.

It is in immaculate conditions. No damage to the paintwork (actually the cable routing is better than the one on my Giant TCR) and no signs of cable rubbing at all. Cassette and chainrings look barely used, even the tyres are original and with little sign of usage. They seller said he did less than 500 miles on it, most of it on rollers and judging by the conditions I can easily believe it.

I tried the bike myself, the 105 is super crisp and the tektro rim brakes seemed to be working fine too at a reasonable speed (and I'm 50 pounds heavier than the missus). Size is alright although I'll be buying 2 shorter stems and I'll do some experiments to see which one gives her the best position.

For now the missus is buzzing and can't wait to use it. Let's see how long before it goes in the garage to collect dust :laugh:
FW: Glad you could snap that bike up before someone else did. Clean, great condition bikes don't stay "for sale" for long, pandemic times or not. Hope you wife enjoys thousands of miles on it. I have about the same bike, but a Trek. 2000 miles on it since the pandemic started and enjoying the heck out of it.
:bravo: :bicycle:

FW: Glad you could snap that bike up before someone else did. Clean, great condition bikes don't stay "for sale" for long, pandemic times or not. Hope you wife enjoys thousands of miles on it. I have about the same bike, but a Trek. 2000 miles on it since the pandemic started and enjoying the heck out of it.
:bravo: :bicycle:

Definitely a good time to get into cycling. The weather is glorious at the moment and has been for the last 2 weeks.

The missus is envying my tan line a lot and I bet that's one of the main reasons she wanted the bike in the first place :laugh:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Thanks very much for all your replies and advice.

So, on Friday afternoon after work we went to view the bike and ended up buying it for £750.

It is in immaculate conditions. No damage to the paintwork (actually the cable routing is better than the one on my Giant TCR) and no signs of cable rubbing at all. Cassette and chainrings look barely used, even the tyres are original and with little sign of usage. They seller said he did less than 500 miles on it, most of it on rollers and judging by the conditions I can easily believe it.

I tried the bike myself, the 105 is super crisp and the tektro rim brakes seemed to be working fine too at a reasonable speed (and I'm 50 pounds heavier than the missus). Size is alright although I'll be buying 2 shorter stems and I'll do some experiments to see which one gives her the best position.

For now the missus is buzzing and can't wait to use it. Let's see how long before it goes in the garage to collect dust :laugh:

Out of interest were the pedals Look SPD* or Look own style?

* e.g. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...RKnGLXLuesreq2cp0d8aAkWYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Out of interest were the pedals Look SPD* or Look own style?

* e.g. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...RKnGLXLuesreq2cp0d8aAkWYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

These ones

I'll swap them for flats until she gets comfortable on the bike.

To each his/her own pedals/style. I love my flat pedals. (No slams from super-cyclers, please.) I have them on all of my bikes... hybrid, mountain bike and single-speed. Ride with what feels good and works for you.

Yes, agreed, she'll see what's best for her :okay:

Actually, she said she would like to do a triathlon sooner rather than later, starting from a novice one (400m swim, 10km cycle, 2.5k run) so for that distance I'd say flat pedals are a good choice; saves you from the faff of changing shoes in T2

Gunk

Guru
I sold a BMC team machine late last year, aluminium frame, full 105 5800 groupset, brand new Aksium wheelset, all in mint condition, and that fetched just under £700. Your Giant is probably worth similar money.

Size is alright although I'll be buying 2 shorter stems and I'll do some experiments to see which one gives her the best position.

Updates:

- swapped the clipless pedals for a nice pair of sturdy DMR flat pedals I had laying around the house.
- last week I swapped the 100mm stem with a 80mm one

That's it. Just with the shorter stem my partner's position improved dramatically; she felt the improvement straightaway, her control of the handlebar was much better and therefore her confidence on her first road bike ever went through the roof.

Now that the bike fits her like a glove and she wants to go out for a ride...it's been raining for the last few days :rolleyes:

Top Bottom