Second wheelset for new hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

So... hoping to pick up a Cannondale Quick 3 hybrid bike next week. This model is a bit more road-oriented than its sister "CX" model, and it comes with a Formula-made Xero wheelset which I think is fairly "road"-ish as it has a 28/24 spoke configuration.​
Tyres are Conti slicks at 32mm width, and I'm also purchasing a pair of Schwalbe Smart Sams at 700c x 40mm for if I want to add a bit of light trail versatility down the line.​
My question is, if I were to buy a second wheelset to shoe one of the pairs of tyres onto, and assuming I kept the stock Xeroes as the roadgoing choice with the Conti tyres, is there a good wheelset under say, £150-200 that is both strong and sturdy enough for some trail action and light enough to flatter the bike? I like the look of some of the budget end Shimano road wheelsets but would they be strong enough?​
Oh and also, the bike is V brake so the wheelset would need to be compatible.​
Thanks​

Stu​

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Take a look at the CX wheels on Planet X - i think its the A57 wheelset, light and strong.

So... hoping to pick up a Cannondale Quick 3 hybrid bike next week. This model is a bit more road-oriented than its sister "CX" model, and it comes with a Formula-made Xero wheelset which I think is fairly "road"-ish as it has a 28/24 spoke configuration.​
Tyres are Conti slicks at 32mm width, and I'm also purchasing a pair of Schwalbe Smart Sams at 700c x 40mm for if I want to add a bit of light trail versatility down the line.​
My question is, if I were to buy a second wheelset to shoe one of the pairs of tyres onto, and assuming I kept the stock Xeroes as the roadgoing choice with the Conti tyres, is there a good wheelset under say, £150-200 that is both strong and sturdy enough for some trail action and light enough to flatter the bike? I like the look of some of the budget end Shimano road wheelsets but would they be strong enough?​
Oh and also, the bike is V brake so the wheelset would need to be compatible.​
Thanks​
Stu​

Are you sure you need new wheels?

I've run trails on 700*28c and with all but some very rough stuff they coped admirably. They aren't slicks though - more like a semi-cx tyre.

I will say when I tour I'm going up to 32 or 35, but thats just for the weight and potentially just the rear TBH

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

I believe so hlab, i popped into store yesterday to check the frame with one of the workshop dudes.

As to whether i need second wheels.. i guess maybe not, and i cant afford at the mo anyway, but it seemed like a way of housing the cross tyres for a quick swap-over, that is assuming the bikes stock wheels arent trailsafe.

Cheers boths.

Stu

Top Bottom