Secret jobs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking about this I actually retract my previous answer. I would have loved to be a Landscape Garden designer/ builder. Such satisfaction from designing a large garden and then beginning from scratch to make a really beautiful space to enjoy. Something about walking around the plant section of a good garden centre in summer

Drago

Legendary Member
Flying those helocopters to round up the cattle on Australia. Apparently there really are no old, bold pilots, but it looks a hoot.

How do you fancy walking the length of this checking every wheel is OK and bear in mind there were thousands of Goods trains
At one time every mile of every rail line in the country was walked every day. Fishplate bolts and points were checked for loose nuts. Sleepers were inspected to ensure rails were still attached.
Every mile, every day.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
At one time every mile of every rail line in the country was walked every day. Fishplate bolts and points were checked for loose nuts. Sleepers were inspected to ensure rails were still attached.
Every mile, every day.
Yep, safety was paramount and checked manually, nowadays they use train cars with cameras and sensors. Nearest depot to me is Derby where in the yards there are a bunch of track laying and inspection cars stationed in the sidings.

My dream job was always Paramedic. I finally got the chance to try it out at age 39 when I became a volunteer Emergency Response EMT with London Ambulance Service, attending calls to cardiac arrests, strokes, trauma cases etc on my days off from the day job.
I discovered that it would have been a poor... no, disastrous career choice for me. It kills you inside if you're not strong enough, and I wasn't. I lasted a year.
Be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, I have a new dream job. Shunter and / or wheeltapper. I have no real idea what those jobs entail, but they seem to have a nice social life.
Do they still have wheel tappers?

Mike

Ste T.

Guru
A writer. I always remember Roald Dahl describing how, every morning, carrying a pot of tea he would go out to his shed in the garden and sit in a comfy armchair with a tray like piece of wood to rest on his knees to write on and work (pencil and paper) until lunchtime when he would finish for the day. Heaven

Top Bottom