Security ideas

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Biglad82, 19 Jul 2012.

1. Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

Evening all so got myself Carrera Subway today and When i can breath properly again I'll be using it for work, plenty of dirty looking scrounging smack heads around my place of work so have one of these ATM
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_377441_langId_-1_categoryId_165637
    Ok it's heavy and cumbersome bud it'll do the job, now the said bike has QR front and rear wheels, any ideas to help keep them out the hands theifing B@$t@**s...... Cheers mark

2. I use a D lock for the frame/rear wheel and a Kyptoflex Cable for the front.

Psyclist likes this.
  3. HovR

HovR Über Member

As HLaB, I use a Kryptonite D lock on the rear wheel and frame, and a cable lock on the front wheel and frame. You could also replace the QR skewers with security skewers.

HLaB and Psyclist like this.
  4. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

I use Rohloff gears that I do not wany to lose, so I have Pitlocks on the wheels.

This is basically a skewer with the QR replaced by a limited edition nut that can only be turned by a "key" that fits it.

[​IMG]

There are cheaper versions

5. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

Is the seat post still QR too?

6. OP
    OP
    Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

Yes but I have the parts of my damaged bike to be able to replace,

Would cheaper mean worse quality ??

7. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

......ish

Pit locks are a system that is high qualty with a series of "keys.

I have chosen to have a single key for all nmy bikes and trikes, but there is no reason that they should not be different if you are willing to carry a range of keys.

The alternatives are:

Trans X, simply has a 5 sided allen key

31YHX5NoJVL._AA300_.jpg

Pinhead has it's own key, with two pins, not as easy to tighten as the other two

31MlhNtw0zL._SS500_.jpg

MPart have a simple allen key:

[​IMG]

So the idea is the same, just the implementations that are different.

Pays your money, and make your choice.

Personally I though that the above were all possibly vulnerable to a suitable implement being forced in and turned... so bought the Pitlock

8. OP
    OP
    Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

The 5sided ones are the ones I have ordered ,

9. musa

musa Über Member

two d locks for me and the kryptonite cable and my bike is at the train station cycle parking where I work

10. stu1903

stu1903 Well-Known Member

I'd use that bad boy to smack those junkies about!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice