See these great new British Bikes from Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I still went for the chopper. My wife says I was born later than my tastes in style, music etc.. in the 1980s I was playing Quo from the 70s & riding the chopper.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I had a Raleigh Commando.

Do you realize it was just a Raleigh Shopper with a different seat and mudguards?

unnamed.jpg

raw-1223722684.jpg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I had a Grifter in the late 80's. It was second hand but in good nick. I wish I'd looked after it and kept it. It was a brilliant bike though, very sturdy. I htink someone had messed about with it before me, because the front and rear brake levers were on back to front

GuyBoden

Guru
My fav Raleigh, Road Ace.

Raleigh-Road-Ace-12-road-bicycle-1.jpg

I should probably not barge into this thread just to yell that I hate Raleigh bikes and the only good Raleigh bike is one at the bottom of a canal. Because that would be rude. Not just the bikes, the whole company. The reps who used to strut around the British trade shows in their black shirts sneering at everyone else in the trade - literally laughing at the new fangled mountain bikes because "heavy/stupid/ugly no-one will ever buy them!" (but within 18 months were marketing the regurgitated postal bike the Bomber as a 'British Mountain bike' so desperate and inept were they, and terminally committed to the 3 speed SA internal hub). Then their appalling treatment of the Sturmey Archer and Brooks workforce - literally selling the land from under their jobs, and now, their race to the bottom, chasing ever cheaper eastern factories. Couldn't bring themselves to pay for Taiwanese quality assurance, nah, fark it, Cambodia, Vietnam, Pakistan, wherever they can get them cheapest. For decade after decade relying on a population of non-cyclists vague after-whiff of a reputation for quality which is not just woefully out of date, but positively archaeological. So. Anyway. Sorry. Carry on. ^_^

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I should probably not barge into this thread just to yell that I hate Raleigh bikes and the only good Raleigh bike is one at the bottom of a canal. Because that would be rude. Not just the bikes, the whole company. The reps who used to strut around the British trade shows in their black shirts sneering at everyone else in the trade - literally laughing at the new fangled mountain bikes because "heavy/stupid/ugly no-one will ever buy them!" (but within 18 months were marketing the regurgitated postal bike the Bomber as a 'British Mountain bike' so desperate and inept were they, and terminally committed to the 3 speed SA internal hub). Then their appalling treatment of the Sturmey Archer and Brooks workforce - literally selling the land from under their jobs, and now, their race to the bottom, chasing ever cheaper eastern factories. Couldn't bring themselves to pay for Taiwanese quality assurance, nah, fark it, Cambodia, Vietnam, Pakistan, wherever they can get them cheapest. For decade after decade relying on a population of non-cyclists vague after-whiff of a reputation for quality which is not just woefully out of date, but positively archaeological. So. Anyway. Sorry. Carry on. ^_^
Loved my Grifter..👍

There was one well known Lancashire bike shop owner who refused to have anything to do with Raleigh on account of their sales reps’ snotty attitude.

Interesting.
Am bemused by Raleigh it liking your post though.

Top Bottom