Seek compensation after being knocked off by bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossw46

Hope you get well soon, and get the compensation you deserve.

I'm commuting between 24 and 50 miles a day in London almost every day now, and in the past 6 weeks, I've had many close calls involving cars and pedestrians, actually hit a pedestrian pretty hard the other day coming down a hill near Finsbury Park, if I was in a bus or any other vehicle I think the chap may well be dead, didn't even turn his head to look before stepping off the pavement. I came off very lightly.

Another one was some young chav on a moped who passed me in a bus lane, he must have been doing near 40 mph and was I guess around 6 inches away from me when he came past.

The result of all of this is I've now got a small head camera, HD video, about £100, but may well save me lot's of agro in future.

sheffgirl

I was in a similar incident, I was crossing a side road whilst on the cycle path, driver turned in without indicating, or looking. I was bruised and sore after being flipped over but ok. Didn't go through a claims company. I rang their insurance. It took 5 months but I finally got paid out, thanks to a very good witness at the scene.
They paid out for the value of my bike (£240), a new helmet and a month of bus fares until I got a new bike. I should have really claimed for the other 4 months too. Didn't claim for injuries because mine were only minor.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You can claim for loss of earnings and that can be worked out by your employers. Bearing in mind that you may not be back at work for a couple of months.

Dont try and rush your claim. Fill in the papers with a solicitor and forget about it.

Mine took 3 years.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Almost a month on, things are progressing OK. I've had X-Rays which show the bone is beginning to heal and just started some physio sessions as well.

However, I feel very fat from not doing any exercise, hate having to get the train to work and have been very jealous of other cyclists riding at the weekend when the weather was nice (not the last few days, obvs)

Happily, the solicitors that British Cycling put me in touch with raised a claim with the driver's insurance firm and they have admitted full liability. This essentially ensures that I will be compensated for any financial losses and possibly some further remuneration for injuries, subject to reviews of all my medical records once I'm fully recuperated.

So, my LBS produced a damage report which said the damage was greater than the value of the bike before the incident. They valued the bike at £550, so I'm told that I will likely be reimbursed for that amount. If so, what typically happens to the old bike, do they collect it to be destroyed or am OK to salvage any usable parts e.g. saddle, pedals, partially damaged wheel etc.?

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Oh, another thing. The police were utterly hopeless. I had to chase them time and time again and never got an answer. As the driver has admitted responsibility, I've given up on them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good news then. The cops aren't interested, nor do they have the manpower. The driver that broke my spine got away with it, but it was a mistake, he just did not look before turning right.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My bike has stayed damaged since my accident 6 months ago. I'm leaving the evidence as it is as it matches nicely with the police report of damage to the car. I dont need the bike at present, nor is it wise for me to ride it. It's at my folks house as my wife does not want it at home.

classic33

Leg End Member
Almost a month on, things are progressing OK. I've had X-Rays which show the bone is beginning to heal and just started some physio sessions as well.

However, I feel very fat from not doing any exercise, hate having to get the train to work and have been very jealous of other cyclists riding at the weekend when the weather was nice (not the last few days, obvs)

Happily, the solicitors that British Cycling put me in touch with raised a claim with the driver's insurance firm and they have admitted full liability. This essentially ensures that I will be compensated for any financial losses and possibly some further remuneration for injuries, subject to reviews of all my medical records once I'm fully recuperated.

So, my LBS produced a damage report which said the damage was greater than the value of the bike before the incident. They valued the bike at £550, so I'm told that I will likely be reimbursed for that amount. If so, what typically happens to the old bike, do they collect it to be destroyed or am OK to salvage any usable parts e.g. saddle, pedals, partially damaged wheel etc.?
That's for you, the insurance companies and the bike shop to sort out.
Technically it's no longer yours when the claim is settled over the damage to it as it's a "write off".
Cost more to put right than it's worth.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
OK. Will wait for instructions. It kind of influences my decision on what replacement bike to buy (e.g. groupset), but probably best to assume that it is, legally speaking, a write-off.

vickster

Legendary Member

Good to hear things are healing and moving along

On the feeling fat thing, I can sympathise, been trying to walk as much as possible and have joined a gym. Happily though my surgeon today gave me the ok to start cycling assuming I am able to comfortably and without too much pain

Can you walk part of the way to work for example, go to a further away station? I'm sure you'll be able to ride again soon, just get the physio's ok :smile: Look forward to the compensation that'll come your way soon enough once healed and start window shopping for that new dream bike :smile:

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Good to hear things are healing and moving along

On the feeling fat thing, I can sympathise, been trying to walk as much as possible and have joined a gym. Happily though my surgeon today gave me the ok to start cycling assuming I am able to comfortably and without too much pain

Can you walk part of the way to work for example, go to a further away station? I'm sure you'll be able to ride again soon, just get the physio's ok :smile: Look forward to the compensation that'll come your way soon enough once healed and start window shopping for that new dream bike :smile:

Yeah, could walk further. Bit time consumming to make a difference. I might scour FleaBay or GumTree for a used indoor bike setup.

Pretty much know what I'm going to get as the replacement - Wilier GTR Team ^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
A lot depends on ypur expectations and the particular circumstances and responsibility of the driver.
My one was bus driver edged forward slowly and deliberately after an altercation which tipped me off the bike.
I wasnt interetsed in a big claim and I despise the idea of claims companies for some reason so I enquired via the drivers insurers. Once he'd been found guilty I contacted them again with my claim of about £1000, damage to clothing, very light damage to me and damage to the bike (carbon fork I argued could not be considered safe despite no visible marks)...and suggested they might like to settle quickly and avoid the need for an expensive claims company...they bit my hand off and settled (after offering a lower amount which was instantly rejected by me...and they instantly caved in and payed up in full)

It depends on the circumstances...for me the driver was proved at fault, that paved the way straight away...I had no injuries to worry about long term and I wanted a quick resolution without getting lawyers even richer...and the insurance company obviously preferred it that way too.

Top Bottom