Seeking advice on turbo trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickh01

Über Member
I'm thinking of buying a turbo trainer for winter. Is it true you need a training tyre, and would it be best to get a spare wheel with this training tyre on rather than mess around when I want to get out on a dry day. Has anyone used a trainer with there tyres on and not seen any significant wear

screenman

Legendary Member
No it is certainly not true that you need a specific tyre.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, I just use a cheap tyre on the rear. I do have a spare wheel though. The bike is permanently on the turbo at present. No noticeable wear at all in the last 18 months it's been on there.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a turbo specific bike, it has been on it for about 6 years now, mine is a tad ott 653 tubing and all that, but the bike before that was on it for 10 years was a £25 worth.

fossyant

I have a turbo specific bike, it has been on it for about 6 years now, mine is a tad ott 653 tubing and all that, but the bike before that was on it for 10 years was a £25 worth.

That's what's on mine, including Ultegra. Ksyrium front, but using a spare Aksium rear !

fossyant

You just need to watch the roller's pressure on the tyre to be honest. I've occasionally used really good tyres without damage on an old 'noisy' turbo trainer. I currently have a SMART Tacx trainer and the roller/tyre pressure is quite light.

OP
OP
rickh01

rickh01

Über Member
No, I just use a cheap tyre on the rear. I do have a spare wheel though. The bike is permanently on the turbo at present. No noticeable wear at all in the last 18 months it's been on there.
Thanks, I took your advice and I've bought a cheap tyre which I'll just change over .

OP
OP
rickh01

rickh01

Über Member
I bought my trainer today, and chose to get a cheap tyre for the moment. I'll obviously have to change for the rides on the road though. I'll see how I go and if I have to I'll buy a cheaper rear wheel and put an 11 speed cassette on to suit my gears. Then I won't be taking as long to swap wheels

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You just need to watch the roller's pressure on the tyre to be honest. I've occasionally used really good tyres without damage on an old 'noisy' turbo trainer. I currently have a SMART Tacx trainer and the roller/tyre pressure is quite light.
I have just been given an old turbo that you adjust the pressure on the tyre manually,had to sell old one as I had a few unexpected big bills.How do you know what pressure to set as it has no instructions

Alan O

Über Member
I use a separate rear tyre on my trainer, but it's not a special tyre of any kind, it's just the cheapest I could find - I got several for £6 each when I was ordering some other stuff. They're not good tyres and I wouldn't ride on the road on them (at least, not very fast and not very far), but I prefer to put trainer wear on them rather than on my much more expensive Gatorskins.

I use a separate rear wheel too, so it's a very quick change - it's a wheel leftover from when I rebuilt the bike last year and got new wheels.

Alan O

Über Member
I have just been given an old turbo that you adjust the pressure on the tyre manually,had to sell old one as I had a few unexpected big bills.How do you know what pressure to set as it has no instructions
If I understand correctly, I'd suggest increasing the pressure just until the tyre doesn't skid on the roller - I had my turbo set badly at first, and the resulting skidding heated the tyre so much it started to melt.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If I understand correctly, I'd suggest increasing the pressure just until the tyre doesn't skid on the roller - I had my turbo set badly at first, and the resulting skidding heated the tyre so much it started to melt.
That's what I thought,just wondered if anyone has similar?
fwe-turbo-trainer-with-5-level-remote-magnetic-resistance-na-EV248274-9999-1.jpg

Alan O

Über Member
Mine's like this...

tacx-blue-twist-trainer-na-EV254590-9999-31.jpg

The darker blue lever pushes the roller mechanism up against the tyre, with the black knob setting the pressure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom