Seeking Expert Opinions!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Hi all,

I'm currently writing a piece on the recent release by the Senate Intelligence Committee of the "Torture Report", which says what we've all known for a while, that the CIA tortured people during the Bush Administration. Specifically, my story deals with the affect that the revelations unearthed in the report, will/could have on US relations with the rest of the world, specifically Canada - but I'm willing to expand it's scope.

I'm seeking some expert opinions on the above question - will the United States' relationship with the rest of the world be further strained by the damning details in the report.

Are any of you particularly interested in international relations? Perhaps you have studied it, or do study it? Are any of you University/College professors on the subject (or a similar subject)? Or know someone who is?

Might you be willing to give me your opinions on the matter?

If so, then that's great! I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to respond to this, or PM me, and I'll give you further information, etc.

Many thanks,

Jack.

PS: Shaun, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. :smile:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
For whom and why are you writing it jhawk? You will get opinions a-plenty I've no doubt, but whether you can rely on them is another question.

Drago

Legendary Member
Who cares? Economically and militarily they potentially have every other country in the world by the balls. There may be some short-term disquiet from some allies, but those country closely aligned with the US won't change their long term disposition towards them because they can't afford to.

Apart from the guardian readers no one seems to care. The world media are red-faced over it, but their self righteous indignation doesn't seem to be matched by a groundswell of concerned citizens.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
For whom and why are you writing it jhawk? You will get opinions a-plenty I've no doubt, but whether you can rely on them is another question.

At the moment, I'm just seeking to build the article and then I'll be submitting to various publications. As for the why - there are plenty of people who don't care, as Drago mentioned, it's been going on for years, and yes, we already knew, to an extent. But I hope that the article can bring about some discussion as to the World's reaction to the revelations. And in particular, whether or not it damages American credibility on a global scale, particularly among it's closest allies - Canada, the UK, France, etc.

We cannot just simply brushing it under the carpet and slap them on the wrist. Torture is a war crime and to do nothing in the wake of the report, essentially enables it and validates it. There should be some ramifications, if it were me - I'd lock Bush, Cheney, et al up for war crimes. But I'm not in charge and so I'd like to get some opinions from people who know more about the spectrum of how international relations work, and how they are strained.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Hi all,

I'm currently writing a piece on the recent release by the Senate Intelligence Committee of the "Torture Report", which says what we've all known for a while, that the CIA tortured people during the Bush Administration. Specifically, my story deals with the affect that the revelations unearthed in the report, will/could have on US relations with the rest of the world, specifically Canada - but I'm willing to expand it's scope.

I'm seeking some expert opinions on the above question - will the United States' relationship with the rest of the world be further strained by the damning details in the report.

Are any of you particularly interested in international relations? Perhaps you have studied it, or do study it? Are any of you University/College professors on the subject (or a similar subject)? Or know someone who is?

Might you be willing to give me your opinions on the matter?

If so, then that's great! I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to respond to this, or PM me, and I'll give you further information, etc.

Many thanks,

Jack.

PS: Shaun, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. :smile:
Techdirt may be a good site to visit...
HERE
Just scroll through the posts until you find relevant info...

TVC

And in particular, whether or not it damages American credibility on a global scale, particularly among it's closest allies - Canada, the UK, France, etc.

Our secret services would have a pretty good idea what they were up to, and perhaps were complicit, but none of them want this opened up in case their dirty washing spills out too.

ayceejay

Guru
Cheney says that at the time what they were doing was not torture, you see they had changed the law to suit their needs, and a government with this kind of power is dangerous. Obama effectively gave Bush and his gang of crooks immunity the minute he took office, no doubt hoping for a similar result when he leaves that office. What this adds up to is a government that considers itself above the law. I think you will find that Canada was implicit in this 'intelligence mistake' and the effect of this report on the Harper government will be his unblemished admiration will continue in the hope that he can achieve the same unregulated power. Everybody involved will be working hard to cover their ass before owning up or learning any valuable lessons.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Cheney says that at the time what they were doing was not torture, you see they had changed the law to suit their needs, and a government with this kind of power is dangerous. Obama effectively gave Bush and his gang of crooks immunity the minute he took office, no doubt hoping for a similar result when he leaves that office. What this adds up to is a government that considers itself above the law. I think you will find that Canada was implicit in this 'intelligence mistake' and the effect of this report on the Harper government will be his unblemished admiration will continue in the hope that he can achieve the same unregulated power. Everybody involved will be working hard to cover their ass before owning up or learning any valuable lessons.

More on Cheney's thoughts on the released report HERE

We cannot just simply brushing it under the carpet and slap them on the wrist. Torture is a war crime and to do nothing in the wake of the report, essentially enables it and validates it. There should be some ramifications, if it were me - I'd lock Bush, Cheney, et al up for war crimes. But I'm not in charge and so I'd like to get some opinions from people who know more about the spectrum of how international relations work, and how they are strained.

Canada like many other countries need the US to do its proxy work. Forget about the global scale, try and just convince Canada to break relationship with the US or raise a resolution in the UN.

The fact that the US was prepared to release the report which surprised many suggest that those in the corridors of power within the US could not stomach this any longer.

ayceejay

Guru
The proof of this particular pudding Arrowfoot is not the releasing of the report but rather what action this will inspire, as we know the US is big on one and not so much on the other, military misadventures aside.

The proof of this particular pudding Arrowfoot is not the releasing of the report but rather what action this will inspire, as we know the US is big on one and not so much on the other, military misadventures aside.

Not defending the US. The point that I am making is that Canada will not lift a finger. Just watch.

ayceejay

Guru
Oh I agree with you, once upon a time this adopted country of mine stood om it's own in moral issues but not any more, we are hoping to oust those sucking on the oil teat next time around.

Top Bottom