Seen on the ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

It occurred to me that we could do with a general topic (idea pinched from another site) for anything unusual or interesting that people have seen whilst out and about, especially in the wildlife and natural world corner. Just to reassure us that the great outdoors, so sadly ravaged by human 'progress', is still out there for us!

Anyway, for me, a very close encounter with a hare this morning. All-too-seldom seen round these parts, a most welcome meeting and I don't bear it a grudge for almost hamburgering itself on my front spokes! Such a change from all those pesky bunny-wabbits that are forever under my wheels! This was quite unmistakeable, large size, long long ears with black tips, distinctive loping stride. Made my day.

graham56

Guru
I often see deer in the fields where i live.

monnet

Guru
I almost hit a pheasant coming on a descent. Scared the life out of me. It's a pretty steep, straight descent and I was touching 60kph when this pheasant appeared 50 metres in front of me, started running down the hill and then, as I drew almost level it ran infront of me to take off. I missed its tail by a centimetre. A lucky escape for both us. I've seen a couple of hares recently and last weekend I saw a bird of prey of some sort, a buzzard I think, circling in on its prey.

getting buzzed by a buzzard near Gander Down; them birds is flipping massive when they get to within a couple of feet of you. first time i was cycling up the downs and tried to sprint as fast as i could to get away, thought i was going to vomit i put so much effort into it. about a month later i figured the chicks would have flown the nest so rode past the same spot again except downhill.... they fly much faster than i can cycle!!! it had three goes at me that time but never actually made contact. i haven't used the road since, pity really as it's a nice steady climb and great scenery

Windy

wafflycat

Loads of wildlife on view on my local pootles. One of the advantages of living in the sticks. Deer, hares, bunnies, all sorts of birds. One of the things * adore about cycling is that you see stuff which, when driving, you don't notice, such as exotic-looking caterpillars, or that patch of wood anenomes in the verge... and the like.

I'm a bit spoilt here: get to work at about 5.30 and there are deer, foxes, hares, pheasants, occasional eagles around, on, or above the golf course, which is about five miles from the city centre.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A few weeks ago on an early morning MTB ride I saw a fox, sitting in a field 100 yds from some houses, yelping its head off. Stupid animal will get shot if it carries on that way.

I've seen Red Kites', owls of various persuasions,an angry buzzard, badgers, foxes, suicidal rabbits, squirrels as there's so many of the buggers.

But the one animal that does stick out in the memory... on a decent, whilst I'm "draughting" a Tesco delivery van, wondering why his brake lights have come on, he's slowing down a little too quick for comfort, I over take him to be confronted with..........

Two tonnes of Welsh Black Bull! :biggrin:

Top Bottom