Seen on the ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

Pete

Giant Puff Ball! ;):laugh::biggrin:

Not me! My wife picked it up today, she was going along one of my regular rides, I'd been the same way yesterday and missed it! Anyway, first of the year for us, puff-ball fritters for dinner this evening! :biggrin::tongue::tongue:

Last year I found several, was a good year for them I thought, will this one be even better? They like it wet :sad:.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
On the way to work a couple of months ago at 5.30am I saw a POSTMAN !
( I kept quiet so as not to disturb him )

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Seen Deer, snake, squirrels, stoat and wild boar all in Kent.
ok the boar is cheaitng as the path goes round the back of a wildlife park and you can ride up next to the fence where the boar are.

Just been out riding, and i'm amazed at the amount of stupid rabbits that feel the need to run across my path at regular intervals. Nearly hit one of the silly buggers. Why can't they just carry on eating grass like Rabbits are supposed to, and just wave at me instead of heading straight at me

Very local and often seen on my commute are:

Damselflies ,my favourite they seem to like flying next to bikes:smile::biggrin::smile:

Muntjac Deer, small chinese deer like a dog, seen about once a month but hear them all the time.

Rabbits, millions of em , we should put them back on the menu, free range an all!!

Bats , at night they seem to fly at my petzyl headlamp ;).

Less common:

Stoats/Weazal type things, not sure what they are, pretty rare but look like the viscious things people kept on the northern estate where I grew up .

Stag beetles, will be out soon , there are a couple of colonies nearby you see a few for a week then their gone.

Lizards, again for a week, you see quite a few then their gone.

I have posted it before but feel really fortunate I can commute 5 miles through heath and woodland, what a way to start you day!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

a black adder.

saw it in the road ahead and thought it was a very large piece of recording tape. got a good look at it as i went past, it was so beautiful i slammed the brakes on and turned around to try and find it, but it'd gone into the undergrowth. didn't know what it was at the time, luckily i didn't find it.

L

Cab

Pete said:
Giant Puff Ball! ;):laugh::biggrin:

Not me! My wife picked it up today, she was going along one of my regular rides, I'd been the same way yesterday and missed it! Anyway, first of the year for us, puff-ball fritters for dinner this evening! :biggrin::tongue::tongue:

Last year I found several, was a good year for them I thought, will this one be even better? They like it wet :sad:.

Hmmm... Tasty. Haven't had a puffball yet this year, but fingers crossed :biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
Lizards seem to be the most I see here at the moment but there are also lots of flowering plants which are good to look at although, to my shame, I don't even know what they are all called!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christopher

Über Member
Seeing more hares around these days, now that coursing has been banned. Lovely animals.

I see lots of wildlife on rides, not all of it dead in the road: golden pheasants in North York Moors for example, deer, seals, all kinds of snakes in California...

and blokes riding 'Pendle' brand road bikes... seen only on the slopes of Pendle Hill. Very strange.

chris42

Over the last week or so I have seen a great deal more road kill than normal!
Rabbits, Hares, birds, frogs all on the road!
Just wondered why?

Just seen a duck and 4 ducklings wandering around our car park at work. We're at least 3-4 miles from the nearest water. Can only imagine parents set up home during the flooding and have been left stranded now the waters have subsided.

longers

Legendary Member
johnr said:
Just seen a duck and 4 ducklings wandering around our car park at work. We're at least 3-4 miles from the nearest water. Can only imagine parents set up home during the flooding and have been left stranded now the waters have subsided.

A couple of years ago we watched ducks landing on a wet road after a shower of rain, possibly having mistaken it for the nearby canal. For an animal with limited facial expressions they managed to look quite confused.

saw a couple of deer , one with massive antlers out near yealand storrs (near arnside)this morning.
best experience ever, thouigh not cycling, was a couple of weeks ago on holiday in eastbourne.we were 200 yards from the hotel, and spent almost 2 minutes watching young foxes play in the garden of of an empty house.luckily i got 45 secs. of video to prove it, as others thought we had made it up.theres a link to a not very good quality upload of part of it http://picasaweb.google.com/piedwagtail91/MyVideos/photo#5093841233933292850

longers

Legendary Member
Arnside is a fair distance from Gt Harwood. Did you set off early? (Nice round there eh?)

To keep this post within the bounds of the thread. I saw my first grass snake this year, I've also seen an albino crow and a while back saw a pheasant harrassing a buzzard to drop the largish chick it had taken - the chick was only dropped from about 6 foot so had a very lucky escape.

Top Bottom