Segregated Lanes ... In London ... Can it be true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Meh, some chump will only park their car in it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I saw something on the TV about having bus stop "islands" where a segregated cycle lane will run behind the bus stop. This seems completely mental to me. Poor little old lady steps off bus and walks away from the road and into the path of a cyclist?? Can't be a good thing.

I saw something on the TV about having bus stop "islands" where a segregated cycle lane will run behind the bus stop. This seems completely mental to me. Poor little old lady steps off bus and walks away from the road and into the path of a cyclist?? Can't be a good thing.
I think the idea that a lane in front puts people in the zone of folk who are boarding/alighting quickly and visibility is particularly bad to/for folk alighting. Whereas with the lane behind there is generally less rush and visibility to/for folk is better.

GrasB

Veteran
Interesting that the video mentions 'Dutch style infrastructure'. The problem is that the infrastructure works because the majority people accept cycling as a viable & thus people need a place to cycle. In the UK this simply isn't true.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Interesting that the video mentions 'Dutch style infrastructure'. The problem is that the infrastructure works because the majority people accept cycling as a viable & thus people need a place to cycle. In the UK this simply isn't true.
It is beginning to be in London - arguably there are bits of central London where it already is.

Kies

Really? Where?

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
People will have to be more aware and considerate of others (peds and bike riders). I think that's not unachievable.

Ah, I hardly ever venture into CA&D so didn't see that. It scares me more than segregated cycle lanes do.

Me neither lol I only found it as I was going to mention the exact same Roundhay Road example someone uses in that thread so when I googled for a picture of it, that thread came up as someone else already had! Small world^_^

Top Bottom