Seized forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Ive got a old merida big 9, its got XCM forks i picked up the bike cheap for a bit of fun on the trails but the forks seem to have seized up on me.

Are you able to strip and grease anything?

i dont really want to buy new forks as they will cost more than what the bike is worth!

A suspension fork is serviceable, but let's see a photo of the stanchion area.
Cheap forks are rubbish and not worth working on and should best be replaced by rigid forks.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member

Thats the only pic i have to hand without digging it out of the shed, dont know if you can see what they are from that

Smudge

Veteran
They're Suntour lower end coil sprung forks. You may be able to get secondhand ones for not much money, or new for around £60. Or put rigid ones on.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
As they're seized they are in effect now fixed forks so I can't see the point of replacing them for rigids.
You can dismantle them and maybe get them bouncing again - before you do anything else it is worth checking the lock out function is not on or stuck (if fitted)

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah i have checked the lockout, its not that.
They have been getting stiffer and stiffer then the other day i checked them and they wouldn't budge at all after a few forcefull pushes on the bars they moved a small amount
I might try taking them apart first as dont really want to spen any money on it if it can be helped

View attachment 507780

Thats the only pic i have to hand without digging it out of the shed, dont know if you can see what they are from that
No, that photo won't do. I need to see the stanchions.

However, from what you describe, it is hydraulic lock that's causing the problem. How did you check the lockout?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
They weigh as much as a small nuclear reactor. If they arent working theres great benefit to be had from ditching them. Mind you, when they are working theres great benefit to be had from ditching them.

😂😂

Well i have had my eye on some rockshox 30 for £130 but not sure i can bring myself to part with the cash for forks that probably arnt much better than whats on there

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
No, that photo won't do. I need to see the stanchions.

However, from what you describe, it is hydraulic lock that's causing the problem. How did you check the lockout?
By making sure it wasn't on lock haha

I'll get s better picture in a minute

Last edited:
Top Bottom