Seized forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I did clean them ha

I sprayed gt85 on them last time i used it as they wernt working i thought it might loosen them up a bit

So are they only good for the bin?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Possibly. You could try and disassemble, but once the rust sets in, they won't work well and more crud will get past the seals (I guess the rust is far worse below the seals.

si_c

Guru
If you are going to replace the forks I wouldn't bother with the Rockshox 30s, they are a coil sprung fork and are quite heavy and likely not much different from the XCMs you already have.

I'd suggest putting an extra £25 on and going for the Rockshox Recon Solo air forks, they're around £150 to £160 and they're a significant upgrade, I put a set on my Trek MTB to replace some Rockshox coil forks that had seized through neglect and I was looking at the 30s in the first instance but decided against it.

Edit: Seems the price has gone up significantly since I bought mine. My point still stands though replacing the forks will coils will work but it won't be an upgrade - a good set of air forks however will.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just phone around your local bike shops and ask if they've got any suspension compensated rigid forks hanging up in their workshop. If you don't ride down steps or big rocks you don't really need suspension; mountain bikers survived just fine for twenty years on rigids before suspension forks trickled down from motorbikes into cycling.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you are going to replace the forks I wouldn't bother with the Rockshox 30s, they are a coil sprung fork and are quite heavy and likely not much different from the XCMs you already have.

I'd suggest putting an extra £25 on and going for the Rockshox Recon Solo air forks, they're around £150 to £160 and they're a significant upgrade, I put a set on my Trek MTB to replace some Rockshox coil forks that had seized through neglect and I was looking at the 30s in the first instance but decided against it.

Edit: Seems the price has gone up significantly since I bought mine. My point still stands though replacing the forks will coils will work but it won't be an upgrade - a good set of air forks however will.
That depends. Coils are a more effective suspension medium than air, but air is cheaper and lighter than a decent quality coil sprung fork.

It's not that air is better, because it isn't - it's simply that there are fewer good quality spring setups on sale these days.

That depends. Coils are a more effective suspension medium than air, but air is cheaper and lighter than a decent quality coil sprung fork.

It's not that air is better, because it isn't - it's simply that there are fewer good quality spring setups on sale these days.
What do you mean by more effecfive?

Drago

Legendary Member
They can be made to be (much) better at tracking the terrain, give a more usable rising rate than air, can be made to damp more effectively than air, don't alter their damping charactersics as they heat up, etc, etc. The downside is they weigh more and can be rattly. This is why compressed air is virtually unknown as a suspension medium on motorcycles, where another 200 grams is not a problem to carry.

Sprung forks can also be dreadful too, but going by their technical characteristics alone a coil spring is a more effective suspension medium than air for performance, and a top flight spring will perform better than a similarly top spec air system.

Conversely, cheap air is liable to be better than a cheap sprung fork. At the lower end of the market air is probably a better bet, but if you're after sheer suspension performance and you're not afraid to pay through the nose, the few remaining top drawer sprung forks are still king.

Last edited:
They can be made to be (much) better at tracking the terrain, give a more usable rising rate than air, can be made to damp more effectively than air, don't alter their damping charactersics as they heat up, etc, etc.
By "tracking the terrain" I assume you refer to the way the suspension makes the wheel track the undulations in terrain. If so, then there's no difference between the tracking of an air suspension over coil spring. The reaction speed is dictated by the damper and since both systems can have the damper adjusted in such a way that the wheel bounces rather than tracks, and both systems can have the damper matched to the track, there is no difference.
Damping has NOTHING to do with what type of spring the fork employs. In fact, the spring and damper is separate - in different fork legs, in many cases. They are independent. I cannot see how one can damp more effectively than the other.
As for heat - I'm yet to see a bicycle fork beyond ambient temperature, no matter what run it had just completed.

Etc etc etc???

The downside is they weigh more and can be rattly. This is why compressed air is virtually unknown as a suspension medium on motorcycles, where another 200 grams is not a problem to carry.

I'm yet to come across a rattling spring in a properly set up coil fork. The spring is always under compression and heavily greased. They don't rattle. Yet, I'm sure, somewhere on the internet someone will have a rattling fork.
Sprung forks can also be dreadful too, but going by their technical characteristics alone a coil spring is a more effective suspension medium than air for performance, and a top flight spring will perform better than a similarly top spec air system.

We are still stuck at "more effective".

What technical characteristics and what do you mean by more effective.
How do you define performance in a spring and how do you distinguish performance between air and coil?

Conversely, cheap air is liable to be better than a cheap sprung fork. At the lower end of the market air is probably a better bet, but if you're after sheer suspension performance and you're not afraid to pay through the nose, the few remaining top drawer sprung forks are still king.

I'm not so sure about that. Air suspension is expensive to make. You need pistons with close tolerances, seals and air valves, whereas spring forks don't need airtight chambers or valves or seals. I think it is the inverse. At the higher end of the market, air is king. The market is of course not homogeneous - there are different types of forks for different applications. At the downhill end it is coil dominated, at the marathon end, it is air dominated.

si_c

Guru
So what would be a good upgrade at a reasonable price?

I need 11/8 straight tube
Presuming 26" wheel diameter the availability of new forks is somewhat diminished as the market moves towards 27.5" and to a lesser extent 29" wheel diameters.

I'd suggest having a look around - I've got the Rockshox Recon Silver TK solo airs which I paid ~160ish about 9 months ago and I'm really happy with them.

Having a quick look around it looks like you probably need to spend in the region of £200 now for a set of air forks new.

Top Bottom