Seized pivot bolt Tiagra 4700 derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfm401

Has anyone had issues with seized pivot bolts on Tiagra 4700 derailleurs? It's the 2nd time it's happened to me, first one lasted about 2 1/2 years (probably 6000 miles), this one has lasted less than a year having been fitted last Easter. In both cases the pivot bolt seized up so the shifting is compromised. I try to keep it clean in the winter! I would have thought less than a year i.e. one winter is a poor return??? The bolt is so tight it's hard to turn and I think the force of trying to shift other ways has bent the B screw.

I can't see an easy way to service these to stop it happening?

Thanks
Paul.

faster

Über Member
On the last 2 derailleurs I bought, the top pivot bolt seized up within a couple of thousand miles (I presume you mean the top one!).

It's a bit fiddly, but the pivot can be serviced by removing an e-clip on the inside of the pivot then knocking the seized bolt out. It's quite tricky to put back together because of the spring, but far from impossible.

Once cleaned up and greased properly, they don't seem to give any more trouble.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I try to keep it clean in the winter!
Could be your problem right there!

I have a commute bike with 4700. It has done 4 winters and over 10,000 miles now but rarely gets cleaned, maybe once a year or less (in fact I know it's less :whistle:). No problem with the mech, or the bike as a whole. I just keep up with general maintenance as and when required.
Over zealous cleaning might give a great looking bike but can wash out the grease and lubricant as well as getting water into components it wouldn't otherwise reach.
The Tiagra mech is a stock standard design so I would be surprised if these were any less reliable/more problematic than Shimano's other generally superb rear derailleurs.

Top Bottom