seizures and the cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
No warning beforehand, cause unknown, trigger unknown.

But I've never had one whilst cycling. Used to do the 18 & 1/2 miles to and from Leeds, 11 out of every 14 days. And apart from the usual comments about cycling nothing was said. Major differrence being I'd grown up with it.

The only thing it can stop you doing, is driving. The only other advisable thing to stop, if remembered, is possibly what you were doing shortly beforehand.
Give up cycling, never. Take it easy for a while, whilst following your own suggestion of cycling round a local park. I'd do it, so long as there were no injuries that could be made worse(back to looking at it post accident), or there was a vision problem. That's what's keeping me off at present.

How safe you feel is upto you, but don't let any scare stories you may hear stop you doing anything. The final choice in most cases will be yours.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Cheers folks. I'm in good (enough) spirits, was just trying to give the hivemind as much info as possible in a situation totally new to me for your experiences and suggestions - all much appreciated, thank you.

Personally I still think it is a combination of sinus & labrynthitis-es and maybe being a bit run down generally since Christmas time and it'll be bwtter when they clear my system, but I'm in the lap of the medicos to poke and prod me to their satisfaction over the next few weeks to see one way or another.

6 week decorating note ;) from work - they wanted to give me longer off, I wanted less but we compromised on 6. So I'm home and nearer the hospital for the, apparently lots, of neuro stuff I'm scheduled for than if I was in work.

The bikes are integral part of life to me tho and one way or another I'm not giving up on them.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Nice to hear you're not giving up on cycling, because of the one event.

Some of the tests may seem odd and rather obvious, flashing lights, but it's a set of tests to rule out various factors.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Spent 3 nights in hospital, scared shiless that I had brain cancer or summat. More fool me, but I returned to work within the week.....I'm a glass half full type that doesn't enjoy sitting on my elbows, but, the burgers tried to send me to Thailand the following Monday!!!!! Sympathy? My arse! Take advantage of your 6 weeks decorating is wot I say

classic33

Leg End Member
So long as the word epilepsy isn't running round inside their heads. The mere mention of it is enough to get some people running at a speed that Usain Bolt would be ashamed of.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Anything new on this?
No, the diagnosis is shrugged shoulders and come back if you do it again. I've been through batteries of Neuro and then Cardo tests and nothing long-term or potentially worrying leapt out.

I'm putting it down to being overworked and stressed out more than I realised; the time out helped and I've made a few changes to hours and stuff I do over and above what I need to; along with being run down and generally meh since before last Christmas and Labrynthitis when I keeled over.

Hopefully just a one off I can forget about.

classic33

Leg End Member
Best o'luck, and hopefully you haven't missed the driving too much.

A "one-off" could be caused by anything.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hahaha TBH I didn't miss driving at all, I could happily not bother, but am fortunate to have Mrs SB who doesn't mind it and is a good egg for me asking for trips to B&Q etc.

Its a convenient thing to have though and I have to take my fair share of running the kids about to various courses and participations in the evenings.

It was interesting reading about your incident, it may be just a one off brought about by you being a bit run down. The good news is that they haven't found anything seriously wrong and that you can have a rest and build your strength back up again.
I had a couple years ago following a minor heart attack. The collapse was put down to too many drugs lowering my pulse rate, a few days later I was rushed in to hospital with a perforated gastric ulcer.
Reading some of the comments has made me think that my what I call days with the fairies are like bad migraine attacks, which I have warning signs for their onset, and so limit what I do. If it is a bad one I am totally useless and the best solution is to try and sleep it off, which may be all day.
On good days I am perfectly normal and can lift heavy weights, work ,cycle, it is just that I have to be aware that if I do too much I am likely to have a bad day or days following.

Top Bottom