Self Build Bamboo Bike Frame Kit Build Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Holly necro Batman but I've just seen this and thought of that , nowt new under then sun ?

41923629_2051341221595183_2104622051934339072_n.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone again for all of kind posts, as well as the stories and photos of other Bamboo bikes out in the wild. @FishFright indeed there really is nothing new under the sun, Bamboo bikes have been around for over a hundred years now.

I wonder how the bike is going now?
Indeed, so do I.

I followed the totally fascinating build programme from start to finish, since when virtually nothing!

I know, I know, I've been rubbish at keeping this up to date! so lets have a go at a long overdue update.

Summer 2018 was the first year I rode the bike and I had some great rides, but something was not quite right and it was bugging me. I just couldn't get comfy on the bike. I was sure the frame size was right, but I just didn't feel right, then one day lost in my thoughts, just enjoying the feeling of riding it struck me what was wrong. The preceding years had seen my riding time and distance drop significantly due to the time pressures of a demanding job and young family and as a result I was overall less fit, the net result? I'd lost core strength and as a result I was slouching on the bike, my posture was awful. For the rest of the ride I really focused on holding myself properly and the difference was noticeable. So this led on to me experimenting with not only the stem height and position, but in maintaining a decent posture and building my core strength back up. So two years down the line the steerer is still not cut down! but I think I've finally nailed the riding position.

So with the reach problem sorted, I really started to enjoy the rides. The bike is really comfy over long distances and a lot of fun. With my new found love of Gravel riding, this bike had become my summer ride only which is perfect. I just love taking it out on days when the roads are dry and the sun is beating down. Overall it's been really reliable, aside from one problem, it's as good as new still. No sign of any stress of cracks in the frame or the joins.

So the one problem? At the end of September, riding home one day the cable stop for the back brake cable let go. No major problem, I used the front brake for the last kilometre. The stop itself is just a small piece of Bamboo resined on to the frame, so I need to look at that. I've two thoughts on making a more permanent fix. Quite possibly, I'll wrap it under a piece of spare hemp and the paint it. I'll document it here though as I go. As I mentioned, the bike is off the road until the weather improves though so no massive rush.

So there we go, finally updated! not much to report really, aside from what a great bike it is and the satisfaction I get from riding something I made myself is immeasurable. The only slight regret and I mean only slight, is that I never made the wheels as well. I will build my own wheels one day, but there are only so many hours in a day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom