Self Build Bamboo Bike Frame Kit Build Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Ah, I'm sure you could build a set out of bamboo :becool:
You could fix a length of bamboo to the wall at one end, hang what you want to weigh at the other end and measure the deflection of the bamboo. You can then calculate the weight using a suitable beam deflection formula and an estimate for the elastic modulus of bamboo.

That's the visionary step done, I will leave the details for you to fill in.:whistle:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Or you could post it to me and I'll weigh it for you :whistle:

:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Robxxx7

Über Member
Have really enjoyed reading this thread over the course of your bike build .. the bike looks fantastic and you have made a great job of it .. give yourself a big pat on the back

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If I had a set of scales that is! Aside from some kitchen scales, we've never owned any other kind. I'm going to see if I can borrow some from somewhere though.
Luggage scales. Rope around stem and seat post, then hook the luggage scales onto it and use them to lift the bike, shuffling a bit to keep it balanced.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks again for the positive comments folks, glad everyone likes it. I've still not managed to get hold of any scales of any sort to weigh the bike, but hopefully later this week I can lay my hands on some.

So a week after completion and I've managed to put the best part of a 100km on it. Aside from a few tweaks and adjustments here and there, it's been faultless. I'm still really pleased with the way it rides, it's really smooth and comfortable. Given the fact that it's lashed together with hemp and handcrafted in my basement, it's also surprisingly stiff. Overall I'm really pleased with the outcome and I've had a lot of fun riding it this week.

IMG_20180505_101157495.jpg

IMG_20180506_161405391.jpg

adamhearn

Veteran
Looking good.

Seatpost would look better in black

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Your right I have been thinking that as well, but I was trying to keep costs down by using parts from my spares bin. I might yet buy a black one though, in the not to distant future, seat posts are not too pricey.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Fantastic... and it looks lovely..... I'd suggest getting something mounted on the fork stem though, make it look like it's meant to be there :-)....

I'd been following this thread on the QT and enjoying it loads. :thumbsup:

Then, when I was bimbling about in London the other day, I spotted one! :wahhey: A chap riding a bamboo bike! I was on foot and couldn't help exclaiming "OMG, a bamboo bike!" much to the confusion of my fellow pedestrians. :blush:

Anyways, this one differed from the OP's steed as it had a double top tube a la Flying Pigeon, and looked like the lugs had been done with carbon, but hey, it's not every day you see one of these. :biggrin:

Top Bottom