Self Build Bamboo Bike Frame Kit Build Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree with everything @Smokin Joe said, feels like ive just finished a good book that I didn't want to end

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm glad you all like the finished result.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of the people that have taken the time to comment on this thread over the last seven months. It's been great to read all of your input, ideas and encouragement. I will pop back from time to time with updates here and there. I'm still pondering the head badge idea and I need to weigh the finished bike as well, when I can work out how.

So I don't know if any one else is pondering a crazy project like this, but I thought I'd pop up some of my thoughts about the bike and the kit, now that it's all finished. From the start, the Bamboo Bicycle Club have been really good to deal with, they state that they want to help people build a unique bike and were happy to change some of the kit contents to suit my needs. When it was dispatched, it was sent quickly and without postage costs, to Germany.

The kits contents were really comprehensive, not only was everything included, but more than sufficient quantities of everything as well. I've seen a few kits online where resin is not included in the kit, along with other essential parts. This kit has everything you need to make a complete frame aside from consumables like sandpaper and tape, which is fair enough. I liked the fact that the tubes are also not trimmed to length or mitred, so you get to completely build the bike and are free to make your own decisions on how to proceed.

The kit also comes with a comprehensive instruction booklet and this is one area that I felt was a little below par. There were a number of spelling mistakes and more annoyingly there were a couple of unfinished sentences. There was also some conflicting information and mistakes in the way they wanted you to construct things. Overall, as excellent as it was, it really needed to be proof read properly. Another issue with the kit was the substandard Bottom Bracket insert, it's seems that there was a batch problem, but I feel that they could have at least emailed me about it when they where aware.

The end product is excellent though and I'm really pleased with both the look of the bike and the way it rides. It really is a lovely bike. There was a bit of discussion earlier in the thread about cost and value for money. Having bought the kit and constructed it, I definitely feel it's excellent value for money. I've had a lot of enjoyment from this, whilst the instructions are not as well written as they could be, the overall quality of the kit is excellent and I would whole heartedly recommend it to any one. I've genuinely not seen another kit online that appeals to me as much as this one.

So the big question is who's next?

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Funny you should say that, this one popped up on their Facebook feed the other day, built from a home build kit as well.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 22.17.56.png

adamhearn

Veteran
Will be great to see a future update on the finishing touches (graphics/badge) and reliability - “does it melt in the rain” for example ;)

Until then, enjoy riding it.

Top Bottom