Self Catering accommodation this summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
We had three 'cottage' holidays booked last year through one of the main companies and were able to move the bookings to this year for no extra fee. The first one has now had to be cancelled as it is in Scotland in March but we have been offered a refund this time which we have taken. Our second is in May in England so all being well should be ok. Our third is in June but again in Scotland in June so will all depend on Ms Sturgeon!!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm now starting looking for the last week in July as SWMBO doesn't want to go overseas. Either north Yorkshire or the Norfolk coast.

I think anyone deciding to holiday at home is doing themselves and other countries a favour. Visitors from the UK should be safe but it's not certain.
Regularly new strains seem to be popping up and taking a new strain out or back with you and infecting possibly hundreds would seem quite reckless.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Doesn't Yorkshire count as abroad :rolleyes:
Not really I guess as @DCLane already lives in Yorkshire :okay:

I'm in West Yorkshire, but not from Yorkshire. That makes me an outsider, or an 'incomer' from a local's perspective.

SWMBO doesn't like travelling for long so normally flies if we go overseas whilst I drive with all the bikes/kit. North Yorkshire or Norfolk's about as far as she's willing to go and we were near Scarborough last year. It's 'foreign' enough.

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
We have had 6 more bookings since I started this thread on Monday night a couple of hours after Boris's 'end of lockdown' speech.

Our house by the sea has gone from 0 nights booked on Monday to 128 nights booked by Thursday, for this year, so far.
(The legal minimum for a commercial holiday let is 105 nights PA, it normally takes us until mid year to get to the magic number)

If you have not booked up already, I'd start now!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am looking forward to being able to go camping again (free when I can). Ironically it has mainly been entirely solo in the main and I rarely mixed with anyone before the plague when travelling.

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
I am looking forward to being able to go camping again (free when I can). Ironically it has mainly been entirely solo in the main and I rarely mixed with anyone before the plague when travelling.

Campsites are already filling up fast.
Those that are self contained (Caravans and Motorhomes with loo and shower on board) open from the 12 of April.
Tents and Campervans will follow end June. Date TBC.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I always use the basic ones and try to avoid at all costs the ones with motorbikes and statics. Wild camping is preferred but I know a few very small environmentally friendly places.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We have had 6 more bookings since I started this thread on Monday night a couple of hours after Boris's 'end of lockdown' speech.

Our house by the sea has gone from 0 nights booked on Monday to 128 nights booked by Thursday, for this year, so far.
(The legal minimum for a commercial holiday let is 105 nights PA, it normally takes us until mid year to get to the magic number)

If you have not booked up already, I'd start now!
What happens if you don’t hit the 105 nights minimum?

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
What happens if you don’t hit the 105 nights minimum?

You can roll it over to the next year, so you would need 210 nights in 24 months.
I'm hearing that due to the Pandemic they are now going to make it temporarily 420 nights over 4 years up until 2024.

If you fail to make the minimum 105 nights per year then Her Majesty's Revenue Collection service will tax you as a second home owner.
It also means the local council can change you a different 2nd home level of Rates.

Holiday homes are typically rated as a business as they bring income into the local area, as every set of holiday makers buys a load of shopping and goes out the the local pubs and restaurants. Holiday homes do not burden the local council with school kids, OAPS's or other social issues.

Second homes however are a burden on the local council as they are not occupied enough of the year, they deplete local housing, don't help the local economy much and can create social issues of all types.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You can roll it over to the next year, so you would need 210 nights in 24 months.
I'm hearing that due to the Pandemic they are now going to make it temporarily 420 nights over 4 years up until 2024.

If you fail to make the minimum 105 nights per year then Her Majesty's Revenue Collection service will tax you as a second home owner.
It also means the local council can change you a different 2nd home level of Rates.

Holiday homes are typically rated as a business as they bring income into the local area, as every set of holiday makers buys a load of shopping and goes out the the local pubs and restaurants. Holiday homes do not burden the local council with school kids, OAPS's or other social issues.

Second homes however are a burden on the local council as they are not occupied enough of the year, they deplete local housing, don't help the local economy much and can create social issues of all types.
Interesting and makes sense.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cyclechat home swap maybe? I’ve a country cottage a bus ride from York, bang next to NCR 66 and could do with a break. Sleeps four. Wood fired heating and usual amenities. Anyone in eg Scotland?

Birmingham, walking/smelling distance from the Cadbury factory and next to NCR5.
Other than that, an incredibly boring end-of terrace. Cat lover preferred to avoid cattery costs!

Top Bottom