Self Catering accommodation this summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
If you are thinking of having a UK based 'staycation' this summer in a nice little seaside cottage somewhere, get googling NOW!

We own a a nice little seaside cottage we let out during the summer, we have had 5 bookings in the last 2 hours, the first of which starts at 3pm on the 12 of April, the very first day self-catering should be reopening in England.

I suspect we will be going from no bookings to fully booked within the next few days.

Willd

Veteran
For once, I was ahead of the game and booked a couple of places last week :notworthy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Will wait until September after the schools go back!
Think we're going to give it a miss this year and not bother. Will be interesting to see if owners cash in on the staycation panic and put their prices up.
My bubble pal is already thinking ahead to holidays. I suggested not to bother thinking about anything earlier than mid-autumn. Partly because of the pent-up demand, and partly waiting for the Covid situation to really ease off.

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
Think we're going to give it a miss this year and not bother. Will be interesting to see if owners cash in on the staycation panic and put their prices up.

Most holiday let owners are with the larger booking companies.
All of the companies have the option of switching on "Dynamic Pricing".
The more interest and booking made for a given place and date drives up prices.
(Likewise, lack of interest in a given place/date drives prices down)

For example our cottage is 15 mins away from the Royal St Georges Golf Course where the Open is being held this summer.
The price for that week in our house is an eye watering double the rate for the week before or week after.

vickster

Legendary Member
2 of the bookings we have had this evening are outside the school holidays in September and October
I think you are not the only one to think like that !
I’m sure. I was having a look the other day and there are a few things around, no great rush esp as we don’t know where to go yet or who lol

Gunk

Guru
We’ve just tentatively booked a couple of weeks in a friends house in the Dordogne this summer, really hope we can go, we didn’t go away last year so we all need a decent break.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I now have unlimited free access to a modernised 17th century cottage in Devon, so I am not concerned about overbookings! I'll be off down there with my Devon bike as soon as the virus situation makes that possible/acceptable. :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
We have decided to give holidays a miss this year......and I am a person that loves a holiday (and planning it).
Assuming things are back to normality (and we both doubt that) we will have a literal staycation ie days out with maybe the odd night in a hotel.... if possible.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Don't think there is any doubt about that AND within limits, good on them. Like many businesses they have had a very bad year.

Top Bottom