Self Catering accommodation this summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Don't think there is any doubt about that AND within limits, good on them. Like many businesses they have had a very bad year.
My issue is that once they've gone up this year (which I can understand to a degree), do you really think they'll bring them back down to "normal" in the future?

vickster

Legendary Member
My issue is that once they've gone up this year (which I can understand to a degree), do you really think they'll bring them back down to "normal" in the future?
Nothing will be normal or back to what it was in future. Not least many people will be carrying accrued debt for years to come :sad:. Supply and demand will dictate pricing, it’s likely fewer people will holiday abroad for a while which will keep UK demand high.
I assume it will cost a bit more, but personally having spent very little on holiday last year compared to what had been planned, that’s fine

Last edited:
If you are thinking of having a UK based 'staycation' this summer in a nice little seaside cottage somewhere, get googling NOW!

We own a a nice little seaside cottage we let out during the summer, we have had 5 bookings in the last 2 hours, the first of which starts at 3pm on the 12 of April, the very first day self-catering should be reopening in England.

I suspect we will be going from no bookings to fully booked within the next few days.
I think you're right, do it now or be disappointed. Prices are certain to go skywards, supply and demand after all.
As Soon as Boris allows foreign travel the pressure on UK holiday accommodation will lessen.
The lock down and concerns around social distancing have given the camping and caravan industry a huge boost. People preferring their own space.

Booked for June a few months back. Only in this country. Not adding European travel into the mix yet.

We got away to the Lakes last August and it was busier in the hills. We will choose quieter routes this year.

D

Deleted member 26715

As Soon as Boris allows foreign travel the pressure on UK holiday accommodation will lessen.
Let's hope he doesn't do that until July so I can get my deposit back from TUI, vaccinated or not I don't want to travel to Florida this year

vickster

Legendary Member
Let's hope he doesn't do that until July so I can get my deposit back from TUI, vaccinated or not I don't want to travel to Florida this year
The date mooted for foreign travel is not before 17 May. That’s some time before July even if it is delayed a few weeks.
That doesn’t mean other countries will lift entry restrictions at the same time of course.

D

Deleted member 26715

The date mooted for foreign travel is not before 17 May. That’s some time before July even if it is delayed a few weeks.
That doesn’t mean other countries will lift entry restrictions at the same time of course.
True, but I can hope,

But price increases in the UK appear to be in the norm, I was looking for a cottage/house to take 10 & couldn't find one under £2000, whereas there are usually some very nice properties under £1000

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not expecting anything by mid April. Our static caravan is 65 miles from home, but in Wales. The Welsh might decide to keep us all out again. We can drive there and avoid everyone, taking our own food too. Hopefully we won't waste another £4k for something we could hardly use last year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'd be crazy to even consider foreign holidays - not everyone is vaccinated, and certainly not in many other countries who are way behind the UK. Israel might be OK, although they may not let us in. I think foreign air travel should be banned for the time being.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Cyclechat home swap maybe? I’ve a country cottage a bus ride from York, bang next to NCR 66 and could do with a break. Sleeps four. Wood fired heating and usual amenities. Anyone in eg Scotland?

byegad

Legendary Member
Think we're going to give it a miss this year and not bother. Will be interesting to see if owners cash in on the staycation panic and put their prices up.
I suspect many will need to raise prices, not necessarily 'cashing in*' but to pay off outstanding debts.
Similarly while business remains slow, dining out, be it MacDs or a 5 star restaurant may well be limited in capacity, and so may well need to increase prices.
Lady Byegad and myself have zero plans to rush back to dining out or attending mass events, until it's clear that infection rates are:-
1. Stable and,
2. Low.
Sadly when we do get to the point where things are near the old normal many businesses won't be there, having closed over lockdown.

*Though some will no doubt!

PK99

Legendary Member
If you are thinking of having a UK based 'staycation' this summer in a nice little seaside cottage somewhere, get googling NOW!

We own a a nice little seaside cottage we let out during the summer, we have had 5 bookings in the last 2 hours, the first of which starts at 3pm on the 12 of April, the very first day self-catering should be reopening in England.

I suspect we will be going from no bookings to fully booked within the next few days.

We booked a few things for May/June last week and got the message that bookings post the anticipated easing were taking off

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I booked 3 separate caravan sites in Cornwall for 3 weeks starting on 12th April.
I made the bookings in early January on the guess that sites would be open after Easter.
Looks like I made the right call. :okay:

Top Bottom