self check outs in supermarkets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
as a Waitrose shopper I'm aghast at the thought of these self-service checkouts. Who's going to buff my broccoli and polish my parsnips?
I went in to Waitrose a couple of times this last week, for the first time in about two years. Just went in to get some of their un-homogenised milk. The cashiers gave me a green Waitrose branded tiddlywink. Anyone know what that might be for? 

I went in to Waitrose a couple of times this last week, for the first time in about two years. Just went in to get some of their un-homogenised milk. The cashiers gave me a green Waitrose branded tiddlywink. Anyone know what that might be for? 
Yup ... on the way out you'll notice three bins labelled 'place your Waitrose branded tiddlywink HERE'. Errrr... I tell a lie, they're actually labelled with the names of three different charities. Idea is, you choose which one to drop the token in, at the end of the day Waitrose count the tokens and divide up the pot.

al78

Guru

There should be a couple of large bins near the exit. Each bin represents a charity and you put your tiddlywink in the bin of your choice based on which of the two charities you want to support.

I do like the self-checkouts in practice, though I have reservations about removing jobs in favour of talking tills.

They are handy to whizz through in the morning stop at Tesco when I have some fruit, a carton of juice and something for lunch

I don't know why however it occasionally demands a staff remove a security tag on a clementine though....

Top Bottom