self check outs in supermarkets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
One of the Sainsbury's ones packed up while I was using it yesterday. It couldn't understand my panniers yet again.

There are loads of people who seem to hate the things - Several times I've seen queues at one of the few open staffed checkouts while the self service things have been idle, and supervisors pleading unsuccessfully with customers to move to them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have on two occasions when forced to struggle with the automated checkouts left entire shopping trollies full of produce at the checkout

I wonder what that cost them in restacking costs and lost frozen goods ?

There are always assistants milling around these checkouts are there not? Couldn't you have just asked for help?

One of the Sainsbury's ones packed up while I was using it yesterday. It couldn't understand my panniers yet again.

There are loads of people who seem to hate the things - Several times I've seen queues at one of the few open staffed checkouts while the self service things have been idle, and supervisors pleading unsuccessfully with customers to move to them.

Sainsbury's are ones I avoid if possible as they just don't work well. Morrisons and Tesco have got it sussed though, particularly Tesco.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I use the self scanning system at Sainsburys and whizz throughthte Fast Checkout. I actually don't think it's much quicker but I get a childish thrill every time the barcode reader goes bleep.

dodgy

I love it that self service isn't popular, it means I can wander up, scan my stuff and be out of the store and back home before the other people waiting have moved 1 further up the queue they're in!

I think I already said it, for me self-checkout is strictly a one-item option, in my case usually a bottle of milk, and mainly to get rid of loose change especially coppers. No bags, therefore never had any queries about 'unexpected item' or any of that stuff....

Even so, doesn't work every time! This morning the only free SC till spat out my 50p coin. Several times. I then realised that, without that coin, my only option was to break a £10 note. No way! So I went humbly to the "10-or-less" staffed till, gave her the 50p and then handful after handful of coppers to make it up to the 86p. Explained apologetically that I'd meant to feed them all into the self-check, but she didn't mind, indeed she was quite happy to count out my pennies for me! :smile:

Job done.

CharlesF

Guru
Working to an organisation that has introduced self checkouts, I can confirm it is to save them money. Comparisons showed a basket through self checkouts is slower than through a manned till, but the cost is one staff member for for tills and they don't mind that the customer is waiting in a queue, as long as the queue is "a reasonable length".

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
as a Waitrose shopper I'm aghast at the thought of these self-service checkouts. Who's going to buff my broccoli and polish my parsnips?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
as a Waitrose shopper I'm aghast at the thought of these self-service checkouts. Who's going to buff my broccoli and polish my parsnips?

Bring them round on Sunday Dell; the slugs are almost slime free aleady. What wine do you think we should have? I was thinking perhaps a chilled Sauvignon Blanc from NZ. Let me know.

Herbie

Veteran
Aye..i hate them too...one reply brought back memories of shops delivering goods on good old sturdy message bikes particularly bakers and butchers shops...i was a delivery boy on one of those...bloody awful bikes to ride on but great fun..any old delivery boy cycle chatters out there?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
‘I’d been working late and had just popped into the store to get something for my supper and used the self service checkout to dodge the queues. I wasn’t taking much notice until a sultry voice said ‘Do you have a clubcard?’ and my pulse starting racing immediately. I knew straightaway she was the one for me.’

The check-out machines at B&Q always sound a bit sarcastic, as if they're exasperated with me. As if it's suffering with PMT or has had a hard day coping with customers' stupidity.

thomas

the tank engine
the self checkouts are a bit of a waste of time. Give it a few years and everything with have a little RF chip in it and as soon as you leave the supermarket your credit card (or mobile phone app credit card) will be instantly charged. Getting past hypothetical security risks, it will be a much better system to anything atm.

Jaye

Veteran
I visited a large supermarket in Los Angeles last year where the only staff were shelf stackers, can't imagine how much must get pinched but they are saving a fortune on staff.

On the subject of self service London Underground will not allow you to top up your pay as you go card for less than a fiver at a ticket office window, you have to use a machine, newsagent or internet.

Top Bottom