self check outs in supermarkets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

I’ve never used one and never will as it is doing someone out of a job

+1

brokenbetty

Über Member
That seems daft - unless you were trying to routinely steal loose veg or something by not weighing it. Heavy doesn't necessarily mean more expensive anyway.

I assume the main reason is to make sure you don't scan 4 items and pack 14. But it probably has a weight range for each item as well. You'd be able to sneak in organic chick peas as value beans, but not a wine box as a bag of monster munch.

Falwheeler

When they first introduced them to our local Asda one of the staff asked my brother if he wanted to use the self service till, he said, if you give me a brush I'll sweep round for you as well

stowie

Legendary Member
My local ASDA has gone to completely self-service (except for one check-out which is never manned). It has saved some space, and the queues seem better, but it must have put some people off the store. They also have a strange contraption which is the offspring of a basket and a trolley - a kind of oversized basked with a pair of wheels at one end and a long handle at the other. Clearly some blue-sky thinking happening at that store.

The ASDA checkouts are OK and always register the bag weight OK if you use your own. The local sainsbury is impossible with your own bags, and I just use the ones supplied.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
When I end up in magistrates' court for putting two sweet potatoes through as potatoes I'll let you know so you can come and gloat. Hope you enjoy thinking about how much money it will cost the store to get me there in terms of employee time. I wonder if they will provide a highly paid expert who will state that selecting 'potato' instead of 'sweet potato' on the fruit and veg screen couldn't be caused by carelessness, but is actually a sign of deranged criminal mind.
All the supermarkets, most chains and many independent stores have a civil recovery process, which means that the costs of security and prosecution are divided by the number of thieves prosecuted and that average cost recovered from the thief. When you get caught, you'll find that your stolen sweet potatoes are pretty expensive.

The cost of stolen goods is of course reflected in prices, and ultimately paid for by the rest of us. Shoplifters add £24 a year to the annual shopping bill of the average person.

taxing

All the supermarkets, most chains and many independent stores have a civil recovery process, which means that the costs of security and prosecution are divided by the number of thieves prosecuted and that average cost recovered from the thief. When you get caught, you'll find that your stolen sweet potatoes are pretty expensive.

The cost of stolen goods is of course reflected in prices, and ultimately paid for by the rest of us. Shoplifters add £24 a year to the annual shopping bill of the average person.

This is completely ridiculous. Firstly, Tesco's doesn't prosecute people for putting through the two sweet potatoes that they buy every few months or so as potatoes. Secondly, I don't care that I cost Tesco's £1 per year and the more people go on about it, the more I want to commit benefit fraud and steal the lead off church roofs.

I've seen my parents use them once or twice for just two or three items, and I've used them myself a couple of times for a few items, but I prefer having someone do it for me.

The lady in Morrison's the other day asked me to use the self service which I did (probably a good idea since the queue at the till was long and I only wanted some biscuits). Had she not told me where the £5 note change came out, I would probably have forgotten it.

Maz

Guru
taxing, mate. Don't try and justify yourself. It's theft what you're doing.

Didn't you start a thread about someone trying to nick your bike, recently?

taxing

taxing, mate. Don't try and justify yourself. It's theft what you're doing.

Didn't you start a thread about someone trying to nick your bike, recently?

Yes, and theft of a large item from a person is obviously the same thing as underpaying Britain's largest supermarket by 10p. What a black and white world you lot live in.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yes, and theft of a large item from a person is obviously the same thing as underpaying Britain's largest supermarket by 10p.
So just to clarify ...

Is it ok to steal a bike from Britain's largest supermarket?

Is it ok to steal 10p from an individual?

Top Bottom