self check outs in supermarkets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The thing I don't understand about them is why they cannot cope with bags.

We're encouraged to use our own bags to save on polythene ones and I tell the till that I'm using my own bag yet it still gets upset every time I put something in my backpack. How hard can it be for it to remember that I have told it I'm using my own bag!?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They are great when the work, but they are awfull when they don't.
The some in M&S in Oxford Street are card only, but they still ask you how you want to pay.

They moan about your bags, complain when you try and put your stuff in them, and won't sell you alcohol.

They're pretty intuitive and you'll be flying through soon. I love them when there's no queue behind me. I pump them full of coppers from our change jar until somebody joins the queue behind me and pay the rest of the balance by card so as not to hold anyone up.

Downward

Guru
The damn French sticks, You load your food in the bags and there's no room for your french stick so your standing there balancing it on your shopping with your legs while fumbling for your wallet in the hope you don't get unexpected item in the bagging area.

cnb

Guru
The damn French sticks, You load your food in the bags and there's no room for your french stick so your standing there balancing it on your shopping with your legs while fumbling for your wallet in the hope you don't get unexpected item in the bagging area.

cnb

Guru
The one advantage using the self service checkouts is that you don't get pressurised into having to donate some hard earned cash to some netball/football team, scoutgroup,jazz band,Whilst they pack your bags.... Its hard to say no with a queue behind you.... Am i being grumpy?... It just gets to me...I really don't mind if its for something like the R.N.L.I or mountain rescue

mangaman

I The only thing that does sometimes irritate me about supermarket cashiers is that they are forced to ask if you need help packing, even if all you've got is one onion and a loaf.

You should say -"yes please", then complain bitterly about the packing and get them to keep redoing it until the onion and loaf are positioned exactly how you want them, to the nearest millimetre :blink:

Arch

Married to Night Train
The one advantage using the self service checkouts is that you don't get pressurised into having to donate some hard earned cash to some netball/football team, scoutgroup,jazz band,Whilst they pack your bags.... Its hard to say no with a queue behind you.... Am i being grumpy?... It just gets to me...I really don't mind if its for something like the R.N.L.I or mountain rescue

I don't feel pressurised, I just say no thank you and pack my own bags. Sod what the queue think.

Having never used a self service checkout, I'm mystified by this stuff about bags - How hard is it to make a machine that scans your stuff, without it needing to monitor your bagging area?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I don't feel pressurised, I just say no thank you and pack my own bags. Sod what the queue think.

Having never used a self service checkout, I'm mystified by this stuff about bags - How hard is it to make a machine that scans your stuff, without it needing to monitor your bagging area?

I think it weighs your stuff as you put it in your shopping bag. I expect it's to stop people scanning in something cheap and putting something expensive in your bag instead. Seems a bit loony to me. After all there are still staff around watching. I don't see why it has to monitor your shopping bag at all.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it weighs your stuff as you put it in your shopping bag. I expect it's to stop people scanning in something cheap and putting something expensive in your bag instead. Seems a bit loony to me. After all there are still staff around watching. I don't see why it has to monitor your shopping bag at all.

That seems daft - unless you were trying to routinely steal loose veg or something by not weighing it. Heavy doesn't necessarily mean more expensive anyway.

orienteer

Main problem with the machines (they're the same ones in M&S and Tesco) is that they unergonomic. You put coins in in one place, notes in another and the receipt, change coins and change notes outlets are scattered all over the machine. They're designid to suit the machine's internal layout, not the user's convenience.

Fully expecting one to announce to all and sundry "unexpected item in lunchbox area" one day:rolleyes:

Have used the self scanning system in Waitrose for years, it's great not having to unpack and repack everything at the checkout!

surfgurl

A friend is assistant manager in one of the local supermarkets. They have been told by head office that they must get 40% of sales through on the self service or they will be in trouble. They are having to get all staff to put their shopping through in separated transactions at the end of their shifts in a bid to meet the target.

Once when I used a self-service check out I placed my bag (containing a brand new pair of designer glasses and some new cycle lights) next to me, carried on with my shopping getting frustrated with the annoyances of these bloody machines. Once finished I looked down and my bag had gone.

They never caught him and yes I too hate these machines.

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
Before Safeways disappeared they introduced a self checking system that allowed shoppers to scan the goods as they placed them in the trolley and the checkouts took the money that was indicated on the scanners. To discourage dishonesty self service shoppers were randomly picked for a full scan at the checkouts.

That actually worked pretty well. I and my girlfriend at the time (who was really old enough to know better) used to occasionally, er, forget to scan the odd item, such as a chicken or perhaps a bottle of wine. If we were selected for random scanning, we'd tell the staff that we couldn't get it to scan and we always got away with it.
:huh:

As for the current breed of self checkouts, I can't stand the things. For a start, I don't go to shops so I have to do the work of the checkout staff. I mean, how long will it be before I have to do half an hour's shelf stacking before I can do my shopping? Supermarkets hoover enough money out of the local economy even without getting rid of their checkout staff. And that voice they use ... "Welcome to Sainsbury's. Thank you for using Sainsbury's self checkout. Have you swiped your nectar card? Unexpected item in the baggging area. Have you wiped your bottom properly?" Aaargh. And the worst thing is, you can hear it all over the shop, and there are normally four of the things being used, so it sounds like Patricia Hewitt might sound if one of her more patronising speeches had been sampled and made into an especially irritating song. No wonder I try and avoid supermarkets wherever I can.

Top Bottom